ID:152487

What do you guys think about a game, kind of like Abra's Castle. Let's say there's a fortress, and there are already AI computers on it, archers, knights, etc. The players create their own 'unique' hero, which is stronger than the units and will probably do a lot of the killing. Then a massive army attacks, and they overwhelm you, not with strength, but with just sheer numbers. The aim is pretty much just to last as long as you can, with more and more enemies coming. The difference between this and Abra's game is that it is less RTS-ish, because you don't build units. Like, the AI enemies would break down the gate, but you wouldn't lose, you'd just have to work harder to defend that area, and the game is over when all the players die, or something like that. If you've played Battle for Middle-Earth, it'd be similar to the Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith battles in that game.
Funny thing is, Hiddeknight and I started on a project almost exactly like what you have suggested. We stopped the project sometime last year or early this year because of a lack of motivation.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Haha, really? Did you ever get it playable?
In response to Seraphrevan
Nope. My fault entirely, actually. >=D

Hiddeknight still hasn't forgiven me for that.
Lol. So did you like the idea? BTW, for icons, should I start at the feet, or head?
Seraphrevan wrote:
Lol. So did you like the idea?

It would have to make combat interesting (no "attack" verb for you!), but if it did then it could work.

BTW, for icons, should I start at the feet, or head?

I generally do a rough outline sketch to begin with, fill it with colour and then start adding details... but I'm no pixel artist. Still, it seems as good a method as any, and this way you can plan in advance exactly what size your sprite is.
In response to Crispy
I use "CriSpy's method" of doing icons.
This game seems like it would be very fun if you make it the right way. I have one question, can you move your character around like for example using the arrow keys?

->Calus CoRPS<-
In response to Calus CoRPS
Yeah, you could move, and like, the units would move automatically, let's say, the gate gets broken down, some units near there would go and protect that area, if the main wall gets taken down, the units there would retreat, since now they have no protection, etc. You would move around, and you could just go and help the units wherever. And you could close gates, etc. I'm thinking about making different classes, like swordsmen, knights, and archers. If you were a knight, you could stay on the wall, taking down siege ladders and defending archers against enemies that get on the wall. Archers would just focus on killing enemies before they get to your fortress, and knight could maybe get units to follow them, and they could run out and try and destroy the enemy camps to stop their unit production.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
I use "CriSpy's method" of doing icons.

I use "D4RK3 54B3R's method" of doing sprites.
In response to Xeal
=D
In response to Crispy
What do you think about for archers, it's a point and click thing, but it doesn't home-in on whatever you click on. You could miss if you were bad at clicking, and for swordsmen, maybe something a button press for basic slash, and one for a special. Maybe even if I have time, I can do the basic Quick, Power, and Controlled attacks, which you can link together for combos, but you can't just button mash, there would be a specific like, 5 button combo.
Hiddeknight, upon reading this thread, went on another one of his nagging "D4RK3, GO DO WORK!!!" fits and well... We pretty much have our Siege game complete. We just need some touching up and it's ready to be released to the public. </3 Hiddeknight's nagging.

We have a charge up system where the longer you hold your mouse button, the more powerful the attack will be. That means more damage for swords and longer arrow paths and more arrow damage. After one second of holding the mouse button, the charge up hits it's max and cannot be charged any further.

We also have a projectile trajectory formula taken from some Calculus website, so the arrow's behavior is realistic.
Grrr, oh well. Can I try it?
you could also have units who do repairs etc, sounds a bit like pretorians ?
Seraphrevan wrote:
kind of like Abra's Castle.

Thats all I read. I hate Abra's Castle, and the Starcraft maps it reminds me so much of. =\
In response to Silent Sage
Well read the rest, because it's not necessarily a lot like it, just similar in that there's a castle/gate/wall you have to protect, that's about all.