ID:152554

Should I use the clients Numpad keys 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 as macros, or would you guys rather prefer HUD buttons?

Right now, I am using a mixture of both.

Take for example, the Rocketeers.

They can throw grenades, shoot rocket launcher or bazooka, make turrets, and soon to come make defense walls.

Now, what I did for Rocketeers was,

Numpad 5 - Shoot.
Numpad 1 - Pick up objects underneath you.
Numpad 3 - Capture the Flag / Return flag to original spot.
Numpad 7 - Switch Weapons (Rocket Launcher and Bazooka)
Numpad 9 - Throw Grenade

For the HUD buttons, I chose the buttons that would work for the turrets.

First button is Create Turret.
Second is Quit Building Turret.
Third is Get In Turret.
Fourth is Get Out Of Turret.

Now, the Infantry style.
Infantry specialize in offensive attacks, and specialize in guns. They can use a regular pistol and machine gun, as well as a sniper rifle (The sniper rifle option enlarges your screen, changes your client.mouse_pointer_icon to a crosshair icon, and if you click on anyone in your view, you kill them. I know its pretty bad, but what else are you supposed to do? If I get too many complaints, I'll take it out.). They also specialize in treating wounds, and creating tanks.

Now, for Macros and HUD.

Numpad 5 - Shoot.
Numpad 1 - Pick up objects under you.
Numpad 3 - Capture the Flag / Return the flag to original spot.
Numpad 7 - Switch Weapons (Pistol and Machine Gun)
Numpad 9 - Sniper position.

HUD Buttons.

First Button - Treat wounds of yourself or others.
Second Button - Build Tank
Third Button - Quit Building Tank
Fourth Button - Get In Tank
Fifth Button - Get Out Of Tank

Now, the difference is that Infantry gets one more special thing, which is treating wounds. I know if people do not like the sniper rifle, I can take it out and replace with Healing. Otherwise, Infantry will just have one extra button due to the effect of not having enough keys on the number pad.

Now, what I plan on doing is just since the HUD bar looks a bit blank, I am going to include a display of how much ammo each of your guns have, as well as grenade. What the icons will look like is just the bullet or rocket you will be shooting out, as well as the name under so you can identify it. Hopefully that will take up some of the space so its not quite so blank. The HUD bar goes along with the Radar as well, which is now a black background (to go more in with the game. Green doesn't go).

So, would you rather just take off all the macros and just make it all HUD, or keep it the way it is?

Keep in mind the game is meant to be fast-paced.
First button is Create Turret.
Second is Quit Building Turret.
Third is Get In Turret.
Fourth is Get Out Of Turret.

How about while creating a turret, if you hit create turret again you stop building it.

Same for getting in/out.
In response to Gumshoe
Alright then. I shall do that.
I think it is best to keep all options in and then give players the option to turn extras off if they choose to do so.