ID:152566

Survivor is still in the process of being made. Hell Ramen was supposed to be helping me with the project, but he ditched me and I haven't seen him in over a month and he hasn't made any new posts recently either.

He never sent me the newest source code, so I had to start over. Which is ok in a sense because I still have all my graphics and stuff, its just that I paid him like $50.00 odd dollars and now its like I got nothing. [Ok getting off track I am sure he is busy.].

Anyways the game is still in the process of being made. Tonight I had made the saving & loading system, along with player creation and all that mubo jumbo. I added in The title screen which Turles9000 was so nice enough to design for me.

Right now, I guess I need some help with the design plans.

Yeah its a game or survival. Players are on a chain of deserted islands. The islands are going to have a number of different fruit and food avaible to them including: Bananas, Grapes, Mushrooms, Pineapples and Fish.

Players are going to be able to build their own little huts and all that good stuff along with some tools.

But I need a little guidence. Some suggestions if you will.

Do you think I should incoperate levels where players have the stat gains and all that good stuff? If so, how should it be done. I don't want people running around killing stuff for levels.

How should the skills be handled such as Fishing and Cooking? Should it be a percent based skill like in a mud or should it be a level based skill that requires a lot of time and expierance?

Should I have weather effects and if so, should it effect not only the enviroment and the player as well? IE if you sit in the rain too long, you might get sick.

I've seen similar games out there. What did you like about those games, what didn't you like? What do you think could be expanded upon that would increase gameplay fun?
  • If you sit in the rain too long, you get cold. Your chances of getting sick go up.
  • If you sit in the hot sun for too long, you get sunburned (decreased defense) or maybe get sunstroke. (Don't know possible effects here)
  • no levels... but you have a random chance of gaining a skillpoint in each stat every time you use that attribute... so the more you farm, the better you are at it. The chance of this increasing should steadily go down, until it's very rare that you get a skillpoint.
  • The more times you eat one food in a row, the less it should help you - food does get tiring if you eat it all the time. There should be a minimum for this, though, and it should be over 0.
  • While cutting down trees, there should be a chance of some random killable mob popping out and attacking you. Ditto for digging, fishing, or stonecutting, if these are offered.

Those are my suggestions.

--Vito
In response to Vito Stolidus
Pizza never gets old!
In response to Dick Gumshoe
Gumshoe that does not help at all. Please feel free to read the community standards for the forums.
In response to Shades
If you get hungry, you grow skinner, and your cannibalism goes up, when its 100 you can kill people and eat them :)
In response to Vans
LOL Funny you should mention that, I was planning on having that if you kill a player you can skin them, butcher them and make them into human jerky.

So you might have some Vans Jerky or some Shades Jerky.
In response to Shades
Suicide so it will delete your charecter and you can start over..
In response to Vans
Vans wrote:

Just like in real life.
In response to Elation
Yep. Just like reincarnation. But with pain =)
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
Vans wrote:

Just like in real life.

i wanna live in your dream world.
Shades wrote:
Do you think I should incoperate levels where players have the stat gains and all that good stuff? If so, how should it be done. I don't want people running around killing stuff for levels.

How should the skills be handled such as Fishing and Cooking? Should it be a percent based skill like in a mud or should it be a level based skill that requires a lot of time and expierance?

I think instead of basing these on skill, they should be based on materials. Using a fire to cook your food will make it better than eating it raw. Also, cutting the food, using fresh water, spices, and ect. And yes, if you're wondering, this is from Lost in Blue, but it's an awesome idea! I mean, how much skill in cooking do you need to place a piece of meat over a fire?

Now firemaking on the other hand... is a fine art. You should start out only knowing the basic fire structure: Large pile-o-wood. Then as you make fires, you begin to think of better methods: Log-cabin, Lean-to, Teepee. Also, the quality/dryness of the wood. Are you planning on giving them a lighter, magnifying glass, or flint steel? Otherwise you could make a time-based minigame for rolling a stick on another one.

Should I have weather effects and if so, should it effect not only the enviroment and the player as well? IE if you sit in the rain too long, you might get sick.

I like this idea, and I suggest you have a storm or two >:D
I don't know how you would determine shelter, but I'm sure you could figure it out. Maybe when the storm starts, move from one end of the map to the other and calculate the safe areas. Then when a player build during a storm, you can recalculate the near-by area.
In response to DarkCampainger
Dark you were already reading my mind.

When you catch a fish you can eat it raw. If you want it to be more filling and have more energy, cook it, and if you want it at its best, use wild spices when you cook it.

Youll also be able to use the other fruits to make food too, how I do not know yet.

And when you start a fire, its wood, grass and flint.
In response to Shades
ARCHIPELAGO FTW!!

heheh anyways.

Food Poisoning for ingesting uncooked food.
Be sure to include a variety of effects!

Nausea!
Diarrhea!
Illness!
Abdominal Pains!
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
The fruit won't need to be cooked anyways.. You can just eat it. Fish you can eat raw anyways, so that won't happen.

There are mushrooms that grow in caves. If you eat them raw, you got a chance to get sick. If you cook them, you'll be fine.

I was thinking about making it so players could find, kill and cook rats.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Nausea!
Diarrhea!
Illness!
Abdominal Pains!

Icon fun for everyone!
In response to Popisfizzy
The funny thing is, I was gonna make it so your charater might drop some poop once and awhile if your full.. lol I got this turd icon with flys buzzing around it.

Perhaps when your charater gets food poisoning, they get a upset tummy and poop, which causes them to loose stamina, and makes them thirst and hungry..?
A great idea. You can definatly make it unique. The waether system sounds great with the getting sick in rain and all that. Also, I think that the people can chose to be in tribes and fight over terratory, or stay neutral and make a living. The skills should be lvl based and as you grow lvls you will be able to do different things in that catagory, along with making other stuff work better (amount of time it takes to light fire, ect.) An example could be you being able to cook somethig else every few lvls:

lvl 1: Small Pond Fish (net fishing)
lvl 2: Burrowing rodents (trapping)
lvl 3: Funguses/tree growth (picking)
lvl 99: Deep sea Monsters (deep sea harpooning)
In response to Carved in Shadows
Carved in Shadows wrote:
lvl 99: Deep sea Monsters (deep sea harpooning)

Yeah, using high-tech beach-launched harpoons with infrared guidance systems.

Needs a high crafting skill...