ID:152808

I am currently creating a super hero game and I have many ideas from City of Heroes and many of my own. To make it more enjoyable to the player I came here to find out what you guys would like to see. What types of powers? What types of missions? What types of costumes? Supergroups? Headquarters? Etc..So please just reply with what you would like to see in a super hero game and I will try my best to get it into the game. Thank you for your time!

-Dession
Erm...I just posted to say "Good Luck"(Not saying you are bad or anything, or saying that I am better, just saying kudos :P), becuase I also undertook the idea of making a game like that today.

I hope to have some good competiton!
In response to Sniper Joe
Yeah, well our game is coming along awesome so far, Dession and I decided to work together and we are working on Heroes, along with Caramonmajere, Makubezu, Xifiction, and Ben G. So yeah, competition is good! Good luck to your game.
Dession wrote:
I am currently creating a super hero game and I have many ideas from City of Heroes and many of my own. To make it more enjoyable to the player I came here to find out what you guys would like to see. What types of powers? What types of missions? What types of costumes? Supergroups? Headquarters? Etc..So please just reply with what you would like to see in a super hero game and I will try my best to get it into the game. Thank you for your time!

-Dession

Anyone have any ideas? Haha. I'm still working on it, well not still, as if I've been working on it forever. I stopped for a while and just started working on it again.
In response to Dession
Don't bump when it's been less than 24 years. :P

I'm a huuuuuuuge superhero geek, so let me tell you my biggest pet peeve a superhero game can have, whether it's a computer game or pen and paper roleplaying game:

Character classes.

Don't get me wrong, I love City of Heroes... but in part only because it's the only superhero MMORPG at the moment. I just hate the fact that you can't make a character who's invulnerable and shoots electricity, or who has a katana and a bow, or otherwise create intersting mixes of powers, because they feel the need to categorize every character according to their use in combat: tanker, scrapper, blaster, defender, and controller.

"Real" superheroes (i.e., characters created freeform for comics and stories) don't have powers that fit into tightly defined categories... they have whatever the creator dreamed up to fit the story needs, or whatever just seemed cool.

Obviously, in a computer game, people aren't going to have any power you didn't think of and couldn't figure out how to represent in a balanced way... that will right off the bat limit the creativity of players and give characters a tendency towards "sameness". Why exacerbate that limitation by then limiting the number of different combinations of powers that are possible?

I think COH uses character classes because the developers were stuck in a mindset that other, fantasy-based MMORPGs used, which was mainly because they descended from D&D and so players expected to find character classes. The end result is that, while you can have infiniquintibillion different combinations of costumes and physical appearance, you end up running into the same exact power combinations again and again.

If somebody wants to make a character that can heal their teammates and throw fire, why not?
In response to Hedgemistress
Ahh, thanks for the suggestions. I never really liked the class idea in CoH either, I wasn't planning on adding them into my game. I was thinking have pool sets, like you can dabble around in a little bit of everything, but have some sort of skill points. Kind of like what you did in Hedgerowhall, haha.

Does anyone have any ideas on the kinds of skills/powers or costumes you'd like to have? Right now for costume options all I have is mask, cape, jumpsuit, boots, and gloves.