ID:152828

How would one go about programming a Full Text Search in BYOND, or in any language for that matter? My Google searches into Full Text Search and related terms have come up with practically nothing. Of the useful sites I've found, most are about general sorting and searching (Quicksort, B-Trees, Binary Search and the like), or about taxonomy for books and websites (creating an index/index pages by hand). Other sites have information on how to perform a full text search in MySQL or another database system, or really general information on how a search engine works(webcrawler creates index, search engine searches index instead of actual page).

So, how would one go about programming code to do a Full Text Search in general, and more specifically with BYOND?
I'd say you'd have to create a criteria for your engine. Let's break it down.

1.) The user inputs a text string
2.) The engine takes that string, and searches for all results with strlen( Input ). It takes all those results and puts them in an array, then it searches that array for all text that equal "Input" and displays them to the user.

That looks like the basic concept. Feel free to build upon it to create more features.
By full text search I would normally assume what is wanted is something like Byond's own findtext function. However, many languages have such a thing, and I would think you would know how to make such a thing easily yourself.

What exactly do you mean by full text search?
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:

Think of search engines like Google. You type in BYOND or BYOND+games and it then finds the related websites. Basically I'm looking for information on how search engines work, however with better information than "uses a spider to crawl the web, builds an index, and then searches the index".
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Loduwijk wrote:

Think of search engines like Google. You type in BYOND or BYOND+games and it then finds the related websites. Basically I'm looking for information on how search engines work, however with better information than "uses a spider to crawl the web, builds an index, and then searches the index".

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
In response to Ben G
Ben G wrote:
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

I'm not interested in how google or other search engines determine relevancy with pagerank or pigeonrank. :P