ID:152830

Im working on an RPG (its called "Dark Era"), and I have an idea of where you choose your class and they get spells (Fire, Ice, Tornado, Lightning, Heal, Manablast, and Quake). Now the Light Mage gets Ice, Manablast, Tornado, and Heal, the Alchemist gets Fire, Lightning, and Quake, and the Cleric gets Heal. I was thinking that instead of making a whole bunch of spells, why not keep it simple, make just these basic ones, and the damage they do is determined by your strength in that type. For example, if you had an Alchemist that 50 strength in their fire spell, it would do 50 damage to the monster.... In addition, I was thinking of making it so it divides your strength in that category in half and that is the mana cost.... [Edit: I also was thinking maybe add in a few different spells as well as you level up to higher levels, but you always keep those base ones if they are for your class....] Tell me your thoughts.
old/10
[edit]So this post doesn't seem short, this idea isn't new. Good luck finding a new one.
Manablast just sounds cool to me. I thought it was something like beserk where you can spend all your mana to do a really powerful attack, possibly if you're about to die. Then I was like, hey, that's a good idea.

That system is simple to code, and sometimes simplicity is best (easier to diagnose problems, less problems in the first place).
In response to Justin Knight
Yes, I believe simplicity is a good thing in games. The reason why there are only base spells is so that it doesn't get complicated for the player. For the berserk thing, maybe I could do something where you attack like a set of times (depending on your level of it), and when you attack your strength is increased as well (just by a little bit).... I could either do that or maybe just make it so your strength is your level of the manablast times your original strength, and it makes you attack everything in your view.... I think that sounds better. Tell me your thoughts...

By the way, I decided to add another spell for Light Mages, called Light Ball, where it shoots a grayish-ball at the enemy, and it does damage determined by your strength in it...
In response to Killerdragon
I can think of a lot of reasons that the system isn't very good, but I think that there is probably a rebuttal for every one of them. I'm willing to comment on Magic systems in games (I love magical games), but not until you've actually implemented something. If you implement exactly what you've described here and nothing else, the system will be simplistic and poor in my eyes. It's all in the other things you may add.
In response to PirateHead
Hmmmm, so what are you saying I should add in. Could you give me some ideas as to what you are talking about....