ID:152874

This is a team based game

I was getting bored so I decided, why not start up on a new game. I know I'll barely have time to work on it with school starting shortly, but I figure, what the heck, I might as well anyways, so here is my idea for a new game and I was wondering would you guys like it. There are 4 teams of spies that have had a rivalry between each other. They are all looking for a computer chip, which is hidden inside a school, but the security guards are evil, so if you get inside their view, they come and attack you. You and your team must try to find the chip, but you may kill players on other teams, as well as security guards, to get it. You must find your way through the school, looking in every small place for this computer chip. There will be a small variety of guns, and you will get a knife for close up attacks. Security guards will carry guns (although they will never use them), but whenever you kill a security guard, you get their gun. When a player dies, they will lose their weapons as they will drop to the floor, but the players will return to their base where they may go back inside the school. After the computer chip is found, a reboot will occur to start up a new game.

Tell me what you guys think...
I like it, I was originnaly going to make a Metal Gear Solid game such as that but I could never get the icons. It seems very interesting. Why not also being able to join the guards? How about not just a school but other areas with different objectives or a goal.
In response to Blakdragon77
I was thinking of maybe making it so players can go outside of the school (to make it more challenging), but then I had second thoughts. I guess maybe I could add in like, the playground?? Tell me your thoughts on that. And also, the problem with being the guards is that I want it to be more of a competition then having players protect the computer chip. I wanted it to be more like players have to try to find it instead of protecting it.
In response to Killerdragon
Ah good point. About the playground, I like it, big levels are bad unless you occupy the player. Second Floors and playgrounds might add to the fun but who would want to go to the playground when there is nothing there? Add some things such as Radio communications outdoors and stuff.
very interesting. reminds me of Thieves.

Things you should consider adding:
- Guard shifts.
- Power outages (like say maybe someone shuts down the generator or manages to make their way to the fuse box)
- Tunnels (there SHOULD be limits to this)
- Distractions (always helpful in stealth games)
- POWERFUL AI (this would contribute to the gameplay so much)
- A wide arsenal of weapons (however this DOES NOT MEAN stuff like RPG's and Chainguns. Weapons as in stealthy weapons.)
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Very good ideas.

Also:

Fatigue (Its hard to walk around stealthy in some ways,
the lower it is the more sound you create)

As D4RK3 said POWERFUL AI such as AI Teamwork

Ability to find and change camoflague such as You can find a school teachers uniform or take a guards uniform (A guard doesnt notice if in this uniform a certain number of squares away or if you stand in his view long enough.)
Hmmmm, I do not know how to change it to where it gets darker. Would I just make an area around the whole school and when power goes off it changes to a dark icon, and when power comes back on, it changes back to an invisible icon? Another thing, what do you mean by guard shifts? I am also not very skilled in AI to where the guards would just walk past you if you are in a suit thing, what could I do instead, or should I just make them run away when you are in a guard suit? Please tell me what I should do for this...
Like every 5 minutes the guards get a different personality i.e. faster, can see farther. Also if your in a guard uniform the guards just passes by as if nothing was there but if he gets to close he notices you
Hmmmm, Ive been working with a few codes and I can't get it to work. If any of you guys could help me with this, that would be great.
Killerdragon wrote:
Hmmmm, I do not know how to change it to where it gets darker.

If you're making a thief/spy game, I recommend you use what I used for Thieves - hub://Shadowdarke.sd_DynamicAreaLighting. A BYONDscape subscription is required, but you're a BYOND Member so you should be okay with that. =)

It's got day/night cycles (including partial darkness, i.e. dusk/dawn) and awesome dynamic lighting effects. Better yet, it's incredibly efficient - there is no faster way to do dynamic lighting in BYOND.

The only problem with sd_DAL is that it doesn't actually darken the icons - it uses dithered icons that are partially transparent, partially black. Some people don't like this effect. Personally, I don't mind it - I think it actually improved the atmosphere of Thieves. But download it and see what you think.
In response to Crispy
Alright, thanks a bunch Crispy. I appreciate your help, but I am kind of trying to do this almost 100% customly coded by me. If needed, I will use that library, but I truly do appreciate your help. I also decided to change it from a school to probably a company building, but it will have the same effect, the only thing is that I have better turfs for a company building. Tunnels are very easy to do, so those will be no problem. My last question is mainly about what guns to use. I was just thinking of putting in like 3 guns (a Pistol thats kinda slow, a pistol thats a little faster, and a machine gun that goes the fastest, but they all do the same amount of damage. As well I intended to put in like 3 knives for players to do close-up attacks, these will determine damage. Tell me your thoughts.
Hmmmm, I have been able to get in the guard walking around thing working now, with help from Strai. I am thinking I can get in my Admin system tonight as well as a few weapons. What other weapons should I add in instead of the 6 I said before. What types of guns, and how much damage would each do?
How about a Tranquilizer gun that knocks out enemies and the ability to put on a silencer(MGS3). Plus guards have heavy slow automatic weapons while spies have small silent weapons.
Hmmmmm, so the tranquilizer would basically make them not able to move, so players can easily kill them, and guards would attack you with a heavy gun that slows them down, while players can move faster and attack faster as well. I guess I could do that all pretty easily. I would do the guard would shoot you with his gun and then come and attack you up close, but the gun would way him down. And I can do guard shifts basically seem like they must go to a room every 5 minutes, and after 30 seconds they come back out at spawn points.
The tranquilizer could slow them down gradually and the screen will get darker until they are knocked out.(You could do this if you want) With the tranquilizer you can make modes like No Killing and you can walk past the enemy untouched without killing them before they revive. But some people might keep tranqing someone over and over. Maybe a different effect each time or it fails to do anything at all.
So make a random effect each time you use it, and if it does hit them, they can fall down and you can choose to kill them or let them stay right there (its better to let them stay right there for a stealth game) and make a procedure that will revive them after like 30 seconds? Hmmmm, I will try to do all of this, and I'll make a variable for whenever you kill a security guard it spawns more to come out. I will also add in trip wires that you can deactivate.
I am deciding to take a more realistic effect now. When you get shot, it can hit you legs, arms, stomach, head, or heart. If it hits one of your legs, you will start to move much slower(and hopefully I can make an icon of the player limping), and if you get shot in both, you will be respawned, as you cannot move. With you arms, if you get shot in one arm, nothing much happens, but if you get shot in the other you cannot use any weapons(you will not die from getting shot in the arm). If you get shot in the stomach, then you will die from blood loss. If you get shot in the heart or head, you instantly die. For close-up weapons (daggers, knives, etc.), it will have the same effect for all of this.

Off of the realistic effect now. For guards shooting, I was thinking of having the guards shooting the player at first and then charging at them with a knife. How does this sound?
You could still use your arms to move. =p
In response to Ol' Yeller
Lol, nice idea, but wouldn't they be a bit tired, and what about blood loss? O yea, and when both your arms are shot, you can kick players using the attack verb.
If I were you, I'd make macros for everything, and no verbs. :/
Page: 1 2 3