ID:152905

I am making an RPG, and I was wondering, should I add in click-move procedures for the people that like to move using the mouse. I wanted to get the communities idea of this. If you think I should add in the click-move, I will be keeping regular arrow key moving as well, for the others.... Please tell me if I should just add this in, to balance out how people like to play.
I think you should add it in.
In response to Azuken
Okay, that way everybody can move around in the game the way they choose.
I added in click-to-move in Fate, but kept the arrow keys as well... And it worked very well, for people can move faster/lazier as well as move percisely if they need to.
In response to Killerdragon
If you put in click moving, keep the arrows. Especially in MMORPGs, I hate having to click move..
If you're up to adding click-to-move then there should be a verb or something to decide which you prefer, click-to-move or type-to-move.
In response to DeathAwaitsU
Verb? Never! =p
Use a HUD system, -never- use verbs, my friend!
In response to Ol' Yeller
DeathAwaitsU wrote:
verb or something
In response to DeathAwaitsU
Well, I'm just going to add in both, and I'll tell them that they can use either, whatever they like. As well, I have another question. I doubt many people would use it, but some people might want to, so should I add in click-attack, even though I will have the center key macroed for attacking as well.
In response to Ol' Yeller
Ol' Yeller wrote:
Verb? Never! =p
Use a HUD system, -never- use verbs, my friend!

Yes! Just because verbs are convenient and powerful and flexible and mimic functionality present in many online RPGs outside of BYOND is no reason to use them! Clearly HUDs, with their cramped layout, slow update speed, and finicky click detection are the way to go when you've got lots and lots of command functions to use. Many people might be misled thinking that HUDs are only suitable for games with a fairly small number of commands and a slower pace that allows players the time for large mouse movements, but this is foolishness--the more commands you can haphazardly cram onto a HUD, the better!

Although really, I'm not sure I see the point of making it a preference toggle at all. If you want to click to move, you click. If not, you don't.
In response to Leftley
Yea, I'm just going to tell people that if you want to use Click Move, then you may click around to move, whereas if you would like to use arrow keys, use the arrow keys. No preference toggles, just do whatever you wanna do.
In response to Mecha Destroyer JD
Mecha Destroyer JD wrote:
If you put in click moving, keep the arrows. Especially in MMORPGs, I hate having to click move..

So do I. I find it much easier to use the arrow keys.