ID:152924

I'm currently working on an RPG and I don't want to use the overused MP/HP/EXP/etc. stats.
Any ideas about replacement names?
Lifeforce,Lifepoints,Magicpower,Magicpoints,Knowledge,.. I can't seem to think of more...
hmm.. I'll edit this post when I think of more..

O-matic
www.rhymezone.com--->find synonyms--> then type ^-^

you could do
Different status' for each body part
ex.
Leg, Status- Broken

You could also make them walk slower if they break their leg.
Mana/Life/Skillpoints

That last one is a reach

--Vito
TF (the game I'm making :/)is using a simple "break your bones" system. Yeah, health is included, but you can still break one of your bones and not use something that deserves to be used in that area. Like, let's say you break your right wrist, you can no longer wield your sword, you're only hope is to use your shield until it heals (ask a shaman, you bum!).
In response to Ol' Yeller
That is a good idea. I never thought of that...

--Vito
In response to Ol' Yeller
I've thought of the possibility of making one stat for minor injuries/illnesses that will heal with rest (scratch, cold, etc), and then other major injuries (like a broken bone, poision, pneumonia, etc.) and then a total health stat. If you gain enough injuries/illenesses you die/lose consciousness.
Of course, the main reason I thought of that is because in so many games you can recover by going to an inn. I wanted a more realistic approach. I mean, come on, going to an inn won't heal a bloody whole in your chest. Doctors and stitches will.

Its nice to see someone else agrees about that approach.
In response to Jamesburrow
Sounds good.
Really good. =)
I'm working on an RPG, and I wanted mine to be a little different so I took out experience, and levels all together, and made a random chance of gaining strength, health, defense when you attack, or get attacked, and a random chance every time you perform magic in gaining a magicka, or mana, MP whatever people call it now.

Or instead of health points per say as a number put it as an aliment like healthy, fair, well, poor, ECT.

I think I used the word aliment correctly...
In response to O-matic
Vitality, vigor, verve, dynamism...
In response to Jamesburrow
haha you are right. A poison spider bite or a stab wound won't go away when you go to sleep...

--Vito
I haven't read the other posts so I'm clueless as to whether this was previously suggested, but I feel like hiding the stats is necessary.

The name RPG implies that there will be some sort of role-playing in your game, atleast that's what I'm assuming. I would recommend that you not even tell the player when they get stronger. They should know. I also recommend that you do not display any sort of HP variable; you should show them their overall health in the form of a sentence or two.

The idea that you would like to have a role-playing game remain IC(in-character) and show people that they have 821/1000 health points seems ridiculous. So, my idea is come up with all the usual stats behind the scenes and find sneaky and clever ways to implement them.
In response to ManDroid13
That's more work though...

--Vito
In response to Vito Stolidus
Actually, I find it to be of an equal amount of work.

You have no extra work to do with this, you just replace what could've been with what will be. =p

Didn't feel like going into detail...
In response to ManDroid13
These are good ideas! For my Square Ultima game, I am staying true to the games it is based about, but when my RPG comes out, I think that would be a good idea, about the more realistic approach! Good idea guys!
I'm currently working on an RPG and I don't want to use the overused MP/HP/EXP/etc. stats.
Any ideas about replacement names?

Why is this a problem? They are well known and commonly understood. Deviating from convention when there is no problem generally just leads to an awkward learning experiance which may cause you to lose players especially if you get really weird with it. I couldn't play the phantasy star games simply because I never knew what any of the spells/skills did. I also never got much use out of the tactics in destiny of an emporer since the names made it very unclear what any of it did. Granted stats might not be as bad to change but comming up with different names will only hurt your game unless you have an odd setting in which something else would be more fitting. If you actually want to make an RPG interesting you're going to have to deviate from what makes a typical one boring.