ID:152962

In your opinion,would putting codes into a journal with my own examples help me learn the language and then I could use it as my own personal reference.

Would this be useful?
Anytime you increase your familiarity with DM, it will help. Whether it be a journal, small games, or just experiments, it all helps you expand your understanding. Play around with it. record your results. Have fun.

Personally, I have found that once you are familiar with the basics, looking at demos from good programmers helps you to see new ways to do things and inspires new ideas. But make sure you get those basics down. A skyscraper cannot be built on a shoddy foundation!
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Anytime you increase your familiarity with DM, it will help. Whether it be a journal, small games, or just experiments, it all helps you expand your understanding. Play around with it. record your results. Have fun.

Personally, I have found that once you are familiar with the basics, looking at demos from good programmers helps you to see new ways to do things and inspires new ideas. But make sure you get those basics down. A skyscraper cannot be built on a shoddy foundation!

What were the basics again?
In response to Broly103
A basic understanding of BYOND would include a basic understanding of atoms and their properties, procs, and operations. It would also include the use of files as well as the basics of image/icon manipulations.

Basically, you could do things like define atoms, create new instances, manipulate lists and images, and the like without difficulty. If you have to ask questions like, "How do I let players save?", "How do I make enemies move?", "How do I add a login screen?", etc. you have not even gotten the basics down yet.
In response to Jmurph
I would define the basics differently, focusing on problem-solving and program flow first. To me, the basics are flow-control, variables and input/output. Things all programers know no matter what language they use. Pseudocode is a great example of understanding basic flow. Once you know what you want to do, and the logistics of accomplishing it at the most basic level, you can start building the system using DM. If you can't describe what you want to accomplish, no amount of knowledge about DM will aid you.

~X