ID:152983

I was wondering ever since I started working on my game, I have been haveing a lot of trouble codeing. So I was thinking that I should start out with something smaller,got any ideas of small games I can make that would improve my programming skills?
RPGs can be simple and fun. You can do most things a basic one requires with the built in functions. Like shooting spells, making NPCs wander around, and so on.

Make one with several classes to choose from. Include spells that do various things that allow you to use most of the movement functions. After a while, try to get some of the major stats, like health, onto the map-view as HUD displays, either meter or number.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
RPGs can be simple and fun. You can do most things a basic one requires with the built in functions. Like shooting spells, making NPCs wander around, and so on.

Make one with several classes to choose from. Include spells that do various things that allow you to use most of the movement functions. After a while, try to get some of the major stats, like health, onto the map-view as HUD displays, either meter or number.

Yeah I could do that,or I could make a text based guessing game,Heck I will do both!!!.
In response to Broly103
Or, you cou do like I did. I made a lil game where you run around attacking ppl, and hiding behind trees and stuff like that. Thats pretty basic. I still haven't finished any of my 4 or 5 rpgs. But,(I know most developers would disagree) by coding my DBZ game, I learned how to code alot of stuff.
Broly103 wrote:
I was wondering ever since I started working on my game, I have been haveing a lot of trouble codeing. So I was thinking that I should start out with something smaller,got any ideas of small games I can make that would improve my programming skills?

What could help you at this point, perhaps, is to make little "tech demos". For example, when you're learning about associative lists, make a little program that somehow uses them creatively!