ID:153183

Ive been thinking of ways to make a decent DB/Z game. And after reading all the posts on the forum about it I think I have what it takes to make somthing fun,decent and new.

Heres what I have planed so far:

In-game:

In game mini games/puzzels (Like mazes and such to help train/earn items or points for your char.

A battle system based on stat points, not PL or Ki

A compleatly random char creation, but if you want to you can make your own according to your liking (That doesnt mean your stats)

Out of game:

An original fully customisable forum system to be based on the game (styling done by CSS for faster load times. and open source?)

A dynamic site with blogs for each user to post thier current stats,thoughts and oppinions (to do with the game only)

A section on the site for all guild/clans (Will have an option for clan homes to be viewable by members only or public and members)

Thanks for your time reading this, all coments sugestions welcome.

---------------
Smoko
In game mini games/puzzels (Like mazes and such to help train/earn items or points for your char.

You'll have to make the puzzles interesting, and to have enough content they'll have to remain interesting after you've played them a lot... mazes aren't really that interesting unless you autogenerate them and set a time limit, and even then they're more tedious than anything. Perhaps some Tetris-like minigames would work better? (Ever played Puzzle Pirates?)

A battle system based on stat points, not PL or Ki

They're still the same thing, though... numbers are numbers, whatever label you attach to them. Getting away from this abstract "Power Level" stuff is a good thing, but just renaming it doesn't go far enough in my opinion.

If you want to make the battle system interesting, you'll have to make battles tactical in some way - or even base it off puzzles that represent some sort of tactics (again, see Puzzle Pirates - specifically, the combat "puzzles", which function like an unusual variant of competitive tetris).

A compleatly random char creation, but if you want to you can make your own according to your liking (That doesnt mean your stats)

A good idea; hardly revolutionary, but still good.

A dynamic site with blogs for each user to post thier current stats,thoughts and oppinions (to do with the game only)

Now this, I like. I've been having thoughts about exposing game data and stuff myself over the years - though I haven't got the right kind of game to do that to, really. =) Having XML files placed in specific locations that describe in-game stats (but not any data that might be considered sensitive, of course) is a relatively simple step to take, for example. Providing space for blogs and such that feed off them already is also a great idea, otherwise they might never get used.

A section on the site for all guild/clans (Will have an option for clan homes to be viewable by members only or public and members)

Cool. Consider linking in-game data in here automatically as well, perhaps? =)

Using DMCGI would also make life easier, so you can let people log in with their actual keys. You could even extend this to the forums if you wanted. If you have trouble getting DMCGI set up, I believe it's possible to call DreamDaemon with the -CGI option from any other kind of CGI script (say, PHP), reroute the output, and get the same effect. Of course, the script needs to be able to execute programs; which means, among other things, that PHP safe mode is turned off (if you're using PHP).

Good luck!
In response to Crispy
I agree with Crispy on near everything. I have a few things I'd like to say though.

For the battle system, I agree that the whole power level thing needs to go. Years ago, I played a DBZ game that had a very nice battle system involving cards. You were drawn like 6 cards at the beginning of the battle. Cards had different abilities, some were for KI attacks, some for physical, and some for power-ups. You could toss your hand and drawn a new one each turn, and combine cards if I recall correctly. This was quite a great battle system in my opinion.
In response to SSJ Radditz
I think there should be more effort put in to the game, rather than a website for the game, to be honest.

A website doesn't improve the gameplay one bit.
No, but it does advertise. Sort of.
And advertising is important.
It gets people to learn about your game, like your game, and wanna play it.
(Unless you stink at marketting, in which case it does the opposite effects.)
In response to Roara
That's great. Get a ton of players on a server and let there not be a game at all. Just more advertisement...

No, I think what he's getting at is that he didn't do a lot of describing of what's going in the game. Enough to where the website that would advertise the game got the majority of the spotlight. Had BYOND been some sort of ad-design contest, that would've been great.

Regardless of how well advertised a game is, the game itself -does-, in fact, need content. I'm not saying that Smoko doesn't plan to have a fun game, he just needs to focus more on telling us about those aspects. And, that doesn't necessarily mean he needs to leave out the bits about the website.

-Koshimoosh
SSJ Radditz wrote:
I agree with Crispy on near everything. I have a few things I'd like to say though.

For the battle system, I agree that the whole power level thing needs to go. Years ago, I played a DBZ game that had a very nice battle system involving cards. You were drawn like 6 cards at the beginning of the battle. Cards had different abilities, some were for KI attacks, some for physical, and some for power-ups. You could toss your hand and drawn a new one each turn, and combine cards if I recall correctly. This was quite a great battle system in my opinion.

I got an idea similar to that. There are posts about a Rock Paper Scissors bot competition, make it kind of like that, but more than 3 moves. have a set number of moves, like block, attack, feint, counter, dodge, blast. Each player picks there move for the round. Have an outcome for doing some of the moves, as well as outcomes like damage, stun, knock back, offbalance depending on what each person does. If anything, make a 5 sec timer to do a move or you'll just react as stunned.

I have't worked out all the interactions (I'm just giving ideas here) but you can make things like feint vs counter means the player trying the counter is offbalanced, or attack vs feint, the player feinting the attack is stunned... well I hope you get the idea. With about 5 or 6 moves and varying combination outcomes, it could make combat more interesting.
SSJ Radditz wrote:

Interesting you mention that, the game your talking about is Legend of the Super-Saiyan.

Ive played through it heaps, it was an awsome game. Ive thought about doing the battle system like that, but Ive no idea how I would go about coding it.

-------------------
Smoko
As long as you don't use ANY DBZeta coding or icons, it's 100% worth it. Also, you need to remember to put it in the Dragonball Fangames channel.
In response to Wizkidd0123
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
As long as you don't use ANY DBZeta coding or icons, it's 100% worth it. Also, you need to remember to put it in the Dragonball Fangames channel.

I have no intention of doing anything with zeta code/icons. Ive made a base set of them allready, thats turfs and bace char icons.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Wizkidd0123 wrote:

I have no intention of doing anything with zeta code/icons. Ive made a base set of them allready, thats turfs and bace char icons.

200% worth it then :D