Here's my solution.

Instead of one method of learning, two methods of learning:

Studying: The boring method nobody wants to do. Reading a book, or watching someone else do something are two methods of studying. A book generally has a range.
If you read a book that's intended to teach people with 2-20 points in the skill, and you have 1 point, you'll learn slowly until you get to 2 points, in which case you got the concept, and are now learning rapidly. However, as you get closer to 20 points, it takes more and more time to learn it. Once you get there, the book only inspires you to think about your skill, causing you to learn at a VERY slow rate; slower then when you first learned.
The reason people will hate studying is because you don't do anything. You just read. That's why after you study a bit, you do the next method.

Experience: Once you're done studying, it's time to learn the good old fashioned way. Learning from doing something is slower then learning from a book, unless you're out of it's "range", in which case it's faster.

(Also, I didn't mention much about watching someone else, but that's about as slow as learning from a book that has the person's skill as the range. So if they have 50 skill points, then it'd be like learning from a 50-50 ranged book. Not very useful, though it does make you gain battle experience quicker (from watching your enemy).)

And finally, I know what good counter arguement can be used.
"Spuzzum said a way of learning interactively."
Here's my counter-counter arguement: Experience is that way. Reading a book isn't interactive at all.
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
I never mentioned a kind of puzzle, I just mentioned puzzles in general. And if you believed this, why not say so from the begining?

You were replying directly to a statement Spuzzum made about the minigame style puzzle, so obviously I would be led to believe you are talking about inserting minigames. It is the only logical conclusion that someone reading your original post could have made.

If it goes with the game, then that is fine... nessessary, actually. Puzzles that are litterally part of the game are not minigames, they are just another part of playing the role.

So, you're just agreeing with what I've been saying all along? I'm confused. What happened to:

It is about imagination and acting out a role, and that is why a puzzle ruins it - it gets in the way of that imagination and role acting.

Just what I've been saying, which has been crystal clear. Game issue puzzles fit, minigames do not.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive, contradictions. What do you mean, exactly? Are you now for puzzles in RPGs?

My stance is still the same as it ever was, as stated above.

I never mentioned minigames until you mentioned how serious HRH was. I wasn't talking about arcade-like minigames, but you seemed focused on that word. I said puzzles, and a puzzle can be anything from putting the pieces back together, to an ageless riddle. The puzzles themselves would be left up to the designer to build.

Again, your original post was directly targetting Spuzzum's statement that minigame style puzzles do not fit into a game like he is doing; so yes, you did mention minigames.

Puzzles are good when they are part of the game, as in the actual role playing. If the cieling in the room was coming down and a magic rubik's cube sat on a pillar in the center that needed to be finished to stop the cieling, and the DM handed you a real one and said "Get going, you have two minutes." that is one thing, part of roleplaying (and even that should be influenced slightly, such as putting a multiplier on the time it took you if your character had an extremely high or low intelligence); but telling the player to try and throw a heavy rock 15 feet to see if he gets an advanced thrown weapons skill is not right, even though it has something to do with what is going on. If you want to have minigames like throwing that rock, that's fine - if you think it's fun then it will add to the game; but in general it does not fit.

Ok, right, so you agree with me, but disagree with me and yourself in the same paragraph? My mind is twisted, ow.

I did not agree at all. If you cannot understand the difference between a puzzle which is directly game related and a puzzle which is indirectly game related then your mind is twisted, yes.

Burrowing in Hedgerow Hall was not a puzzle or minigame.

Not a minigame? It's basicly the friggin equivelent of the entire engine of 1/5 of the games on BYOND! Icon Chatters anyone?

It was part of the role playing, you want a shelter so you build one. Although I never built one in the game myself, I can imagine it would have been fun and added more to the game; so it added to the fun factor as well which made it all the better.

And by illogical or out of place, let's use the HRH example and burrows. Squirrels don't live in burrows, that's illogical and out of place. Animals harboring and catering to others in thier burrows despite species is also illogical, but we all did it becuase the whole burrowing thing was fun and entertaining, and that's really all that matters.

Normal squirrels don't live in burrows, no. But squirrels entertaining guests in burrows with furniture, cooked food and the like fits into the HrH world just fine. It is not illogical in the context of the created universe of the game.

But to say a puzzle isn't allowed in an RPG, or any game, for that matter, is just not right.

Sidetracking minigame style puzzles are allowed in the RPG genre, but they don't fit well into most real role playing games.

I never said they tried to be better at rolling dice, some people just are. Alot has to do with timing and feeling of the moment. It's the zone alot of atheletes speak of. The place where you can do no wrong. It's some freaky zen mindset, for sure, but some people can work it, often times without even being aware of it. We call it luck. I never considered being lucky cheating.

'Tis BS. I don't believe in luck, so I won't touch this topic.

This whole thing right here is why I wanted to wrap up the discussion. You're going into moderation issues and the OOC channel, which is completly irrelevant. And again, I never mention these minigames you refer to. Puzzles, dern it all to heck and so forth....

My point was not in the moderation issues. I was trying to put forth the ideal of a serious role playing game and how a player's ability should not interfere with a character's ability, which is exactly what minigames do. And yes you did mention minigames, as I said before. However, if your later statements were not following suit, then yes there has been a misunderstanding and we have wasted our time debating against imaginary points for much of this.

How did we go from talking about puzzles as a method of player involvment, to this? O.o You're just saying what everyone already knows about gameplay balancing. That wasn't even the topic of discussion.

It grew directly out of the whole player/character crossover thing. 'Twas going slightly off topic.

I don't know. From what you said here, it sounds to me like you like pretty much what I like.

From your recent revelation that you had switched your train of thought away from minigames I could almost agree.

I assumed Spuzzum wanted ideas, whatever they may be. He mentioned puzzles and how he thought it might not be so kosher, I thought otherwise and said so. You thought they shouldn't even be part of the equation, and said so yourself. Fine, becuase you later turned around and not only added to my argument, but basicly contradicted just about everything you originaly stated.

Spuzzum was talking specifically about a minigame style puzzle, not a direct role playing puzzle. The entire time I have only been saying that those types of puzzles are usually not a good idea for a serious role playing game. If you agree there, then I may have added to your argument - I'm still not completely sure where you stand on that, not that it matters. If not, then I wasn't. And no, I did not contradict anything I said at any point.

I think I'm done with this thread, or was a post ago, anyways. I don't feel we can make any more constructive posts without it getting somewhat messy. ;)

Now that we have hashed out the misunderstanding, I agree.
In response to Loduwijk
I just re-read my first post and Spuzzum's original. Neither of us mentioned these minigames, though, the example he used probably infered it. I have never played Puzzle Pirates, so I had no idea what it's actually like. As far as I knew, he was talking about puzzles in general, which if you read my posts, is all I ever discussed.

Maybe part of the confusion is in the terminology. Puzzle is a general word. Minigames are a subset, though still puzzles. Although, a riddle is a puzzle too, as is the Rubik's Cube and computer programming. Puzzles aren't exclusively minigames, though, so when you first started discussing how puzzles aren't fit, I couldn't know you meant arcade-like minigames, if, in fact, that is what you meant. It seemed to me you changed what you meant mid-discussion becasue you knew you were wrong about puzzles, so you shoved meaning on my word that wasn't there to make it seem as though I was wrong.

And yes, you did contradict yourself, grossly.

It is about imagination and acting out a role, and that is why a puzzle ruins it - it gets in the way of that imagination and role acting.
Puzzles that are litterally part of the game are not minigames, they are just another part of playing the role.

Saying puzzles are not fit for an RPG, then saying puzzles that fit do fit, is a contradiction.

You also tried to steer the debate in your favor by inching ever-closer to a neutral position on a matter you yourself brought up, namely the difference between a minigame and puzzle.

I did not agree at all. If you cannot understand the difference between a puzzle which is directly game related and a puzzle which is indirectly game related then your mind is twisted, yes.

When it seemed you were losing ground, you switched to saying that 'of course puzzles fit, I was talking about minigames.' so it looked like it was me who was off-topic and obviously mental, or something.

In the end, it probably was my bad for not at least looking at the example Spuzzum gave. If I had, my reply probably would have stated that that game doesn't fit, but another sort of puzzle could. I still would have said go with a puzzle, though, and I still say it.

~X
In response to Theodis
Well it's more like repeat until you randomly get the quality you want which may or may not take long and can get tedious and frusterating if you don't accomplish it after the first few tries. Might be good if you raise the minimum quality bound by a certain amount each time you try until it hits the maximum bound or some other point. This way you atleast garuntee decent(or up to the player's skill) quality of an item.

Which it does. I don't have to share all of the fine points of my design plans, ya know. ;-)
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
I just re-read my first post and Spuzzum's original. Neither of us mentioned these minigames, though, the example he used probably infered it. I have never played Puzzle Pirates, so I had no idea what it's actually like. As far as I knew, he was talking about puzzles in general, which if you read my posts, is all I ever discussed.

I did not look at the example game either, though I could tell it was a minigame style puzzle by the way he talked about it. When I read it I got the image in my head of an old plumbing puzzle/math-learning game I used to play done with pirates in ships instead.

Maybe part of the confusion is in the terminology. Puzzle is a general word. Minigames are a subset, though still puzzles. Although, a riddle is a puzzle too, as is the Rubik's Cube and computer programming. Puzzles aren't exclusively minigames, though, so when you first started discussing how puzzles aren't fit, I couldn't know you meant arcade-like minigames, if, in fact, that is what you meant. It seemed to me you changed what you meant mid-discussion becasue you knew you were wrong about puzzles, so you shoved meaning on my word that wasn't there to make it seem as though I was wrong.

And yes, you did contradict yourself, grossly.

Puzzles that are litterally part of the game are not minigames, they are just another part of playing the role.

Saying puzzles are not fit for an RPG, then saying puzzles that fit do fit, is a contradiction.

I never said that puzzles in general do not fit. Every time I said a puzzle does not fit I was speaking of minigame style puzzles, and every time I said "but this kind of puzzle does fit" I was speaking of puzzles that are fit into the game itself rather than annexed as a minigame. Since you were not thinking of minigames from the start, it may very well have been confusing since you were not thinking what I assumed you were thinking; however it all makes sense when viewed in the context of the assumption that minigames were being debated and not just puzzles in general. Though I may have been a bit too vague even then when discussing it, as you said puzzle is too general a word and I might not have been descriptive enough when I used it each time.

You also tried to steer the debate in your favor by inching ever-closer to a neutral position on a matter you yourself brought up, namely the difference between a minigame and puzzle.

I never inched toward the neutral ground to steer the debate in my favor. I have my foot jammed in the door of severe oppinions and I'm not letting it go. I am a role playing game fanatic, so I will always be in someones face for a debate if I see something that doesn't look right at first glance.

There is no fine line between minigame style puzzles and "in character" puzzles, rather there is a large chasm seperating them. To find the difference all you have to do is ask yourself "If my character were real and in the situation he is in, would he really be doing this puzzle himself?" If the answer is yes, then you have a serious puzzle. If the answer is no, you have an out of character minigame-like puzzle. I even gave examples for that. You, as a player, throwing a rock and trying to get it 15 feet to determine if your character learns the new thrown weapons skill is an out of character thing. Placing stones with drawings on the bottom and having the player guess which stone the treasure is under because the character is facing the same thing and you need a way to figure if the character succeeds, now that is an in character thing that fits perfectly.

Whether a puzzle fits Spuzzum's situation or not depends on whether that puzzle is obviously a minigame, like the pirate game example he gave originally, or whether it fits better. Do you have any ideas of puzzles that would fit his need? I couldn't think of any before.

In the end, it probably was my bad for not at least looking at the example Spuzzum gave. If I had, my reply probably would have stated that that game doesn't fit, but another sort of puzzle could. I still would have said go with a puzzle, though, and I still say it.

Then we aren't really at odds. Splendid.

Now that we have been going back and forth about this so much, I am beginning to think that it might be possible to incorporate puzzles into what he needs. At first I was thinking no puzzle would fit this specific instance, but now I think there might be, so I am going to try to come up with some examples to help ol' Spuz out.

One thing you could do is make learning new alchemy recipes a thing of adventure. Reading the book is instantaneous, and it gives you the knowledge that you need to finish learning the recipe. The book could tell the player general types of things are needed, and it could be up to the player to figure out the specific ingrediants. And perhaps figuring out the specific ingrediants requires a side-quest type of adventure of its own.

After reading the book of superior health, I know I need a nut (though I don't know what kind), maple leaf juice, and an ounce of holy water, and it needs something diseased to activate its healing properties. The holy water, although straightforward, may or may not be easy to get depending on the place. The mable leaf juice is easy enough, just pluck one off a tree and grind it into a pulp. Something diseased requires a bit of thought and looking around for on my part, but I decide to go down into the town sewer and slay a rat, returning with its tail. I then round up a few of each kind of nut I can think of, and it takes a bit of experimentation to figure out which nut is the right one. Finally, after all is done, I have learned the healing elixer recipe.

If you don't want to make the player go through that every time, you can assume that the player has the ingrediants needed for any alchemical brew as long as the character knows how to make that brew, the character has an alchemy component pouch that he keeps miscellaneous needed ingrediants in, and the ingrediants are all of negligible value.

Concerning the side-quests to determine an ingrediant, perhaps part of the page was missing and needs to be found, or one of the components is magical and you need to figure out whether you need white or black magic since the wrong one could make the brew explode on creation and kill you.

I already learned how to make a potion of shapeshifting, but when I turn into another form I don't get its supernatural or magical abilities, only normal physical ones. I found someone else who is shapeshifting into a cockatrice and has the ability to use its petrifying glare, and I want to be able to do the same. I sneak into his laboratory and watch him make the potion one day, and he casts a spell into the brew which absorbs the energy and gives it the power needed. I am spotted while trying to escape, and the person calls out after me as I run away "You may have found my secret, but if you use the wrong type of magic you will die a terrible death upon drinking the potion!" I could pay a spellcaster a bit of money to cast a spell into my brew as I am making it, but I don't want to risk using the wrong type of spell and dying upon drinking it. So I make two brews, hire two casters to imbue each of my brews, one with white magic and one with black. I set out to venture to the well known yet far out of the way shrine dedicated to a good deity, as the shrine is known for its aura that disintegrates anything that is directly dangerous. After a short side-journey, I get there and step in. The brew with the white magic imbued in it evaporates into the air, while the other is left unaffected. I have my answer, the energy from black magic is what I need.

That is a puzzle of sorts, I suppose; and you could improve on that too.
In response to Loduwijk
Yeah, we got totally side-tracked and took the thread with us. >.> Anyways, I'm glad that's all done.

I sort of liked my idea below, where the book reveals clues to the formula, and the player has to unlock it by arranging the alchecmical symbols into a proper order on a blackboard. The book can hold clues as to which symbols are needed, and the order, but would leave the experimentation up to the player.

To curb that whole player overly-influencing it's character's fate issue, you can use simple modifiers (like you described) to decide how many proper symbols are reavealed, and thier order. A very intelligent character would have much more of the formula revealed to them than a dim-witted one.

Once a formula is concieved, you could do some funny little animation of the player creating the alchemical concoction, with, perhaps, visual clues to measure it's level of success. Unless you're making it text-based, then simply describe it all. ;P

~X
In response to Loduwijk
After reading the book of superior health, I know I need a nut (though I don't know what kind), maple leaf juice, and an ounce of holy water, and it needs something diseased to activate its healing properties. The holy water, although straightforward, may or may not be easy to get depending on the place. The mable leaf juice is easy enough, just pluck one off a tree and grind it into a pulp. Something diseased requires a bit of thought and looking around for on my part, but I decide to go down into the town sewer and slay a rat, returning with its tail. I then round up a few of each kind of nut I can think of, and it takes a bit of experimentation to figure out which nut is the right one. Finally, after all is done, I have learned the healing elixer recipe.

If you don't want to make the player go through that every time, you can assume that the player has the ingrediants needed for any alchemical brew as long as the character knows how to make that brew, the character has an alchemy component pouch that he keeps miscellaneous needed ingrediants in, and the ingrediants are all of negligible value.

Concerning the side-quests to determine an ingrediant, perhaps part of the page was missing and needs to be found, or one of the components is magical and you need to figure out whether you need white or black magic since the wrong one could make the brew explode on creation and kill you.

I already learned how to make a potion of shapeshifting, but when I turn into another form I don't get its supernatural or magical abilities, only normal physical ones. I found someone else who is shapeshifting into a cockatrice and has the ability to use its petrifying glare, and I want to be able to do the same. I sneak into his laboratory and watch him make the potion one day, and he casts a spell into the brew which absorbs the energy and gives it the power needed. I am spotted while trying to escape, and the person calls out after me as I run away "You may have found my secret, but if you use the wrong type of magic you will die a terrible death upon drinking the potion!" I could pay a spellcaster a bit of money to cast a spell into my brew as I am making it, but I don't want to risk using the wrong type of spell and dying upon drinking it. So I make two brews, hire two casters to imbue each of my brews, one with white magic and one with black. I set out to venture to the well known yet far out of the way shrine dedicated to a good deity, as the shrine is known for its aura that disintegrates anything that is directly dangerous. After a short side-journey, I get there and step in. The brew with the white magic imbued in it evaporates into the air, while the other is left unaffected. I have my answer, the energy from black magic is what I need.

That is a puzzle of sorts, I suppose; and you could improve on that too.

Alchemy is easy, because there are absolutely no fixed recipes for alchemy. All of the game's knowledge from alchemy comes exclusively from experimentation. If the character is told a recipe from another alchemist, then the process of finding the necessary ingredients can be an adventure in itself. =)

Chemistry, on the other hand, is a scientific process with hard-coded recipes. Until someone knows those specific recipes, they can't duplicate the formula whatsoever. Word of mouth simply isn't precise enough to teach you a chemical formula: you either have to see it made, or have a reference available.

However, you did give me an idea: reading the chemistry book gives you a formula instantaneously, but as an "unproven formula". To be able to create that formula in the future, you have to try creating the chemical from the recipe as if your effective chemistry skill was crippled by half. Thus, you have to continually try to create the formula until you have it down; once you successfully create the formula, you have double the chance of success of creating it in the future.

Still bothers me that books are made so easy to read, however. I might try a combination of the two systems: have the player sit and do nothing while the character reads the textbook, but have a less bothersome (and less realistic) delay imposed on the time it takes to read the book in full -- a game hour or some such. Once you're done reading, you learn the formula as an "unproven formula", and can then prove the formula at your leisure.
Something that I plan on using is this:
Every action in my game has an action timer and a "cool down" timer. Basically, the action timer is how long the character is actually stuck doing something. An attack is a good example. It has an action timer based on the weapon's speed and the character wielding it. The player initiates an attack. A set amount of time later (during which the player cannot perform an similar actions) the attack is done. The cool-down timer on such an action is also variable. This is how long before the action may be repeated.

For simple actions such as reading a book to learn a new skill would have little to no action timer. The cool-down timer would be fairly large though. It enforces the time spent reading the book without forcing the player to sit through it.

Not completely what you're looking for, but it is a way around the tediousness while preventing "teh uber 1337 macroing".
Page: 1 2