ID:153291

I've been thinking about making an Open Source RPG for BYOND, and I thought about the Zeta Rip stage and thought about not doing it incase I make somthing good (for a change). So that brings me to the question, sould I or shouldnt I?
In response to HavenMaster
Yay, free plug. Anywho, ya, I have started an opensourced project on byond. The basic idea is that if it is opensourced and everyone knows it, ripping isnt really ripping. Kinda like linux, you have distros. And the creator of the opensourced project has rights to all modifications done to it(basicly, if there is a User Agreement). To be true though, there is no way to prevent "ripping" enough. I simply think, people will do it, why try to make it closed source and have people get it by unhonist means, give it to them and tell them to have fun.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
Yay, free plug. Anywho, ya, I have started an opensourced project on byond. The basic idea is that if it is opensourced and everyone knows it, ripping isnt really ripping. Kinda like linux, you have distros. And the creator of the opensourced project has rights to all modifications done to it(basicly, if there is a User Agreement). To be true though, there is no way to prevent "ripping" enough. I simply think, people will do it, why try to make it closed source and have people get it by unhonist means, give it to them and tell them to have fun.

Spose your right there, I'll start work on one one day this week after I plan some ideas.
I've been thinking about making an Open Source RPG for BYOND, and I thought about the Zeta Rip stage and thought about not doing it incase I make somthing good (for a change). So that brings me to the question, sould I or shouldnt I?

My RacingGame isn't exactly open source but I provide the source for anyone to look at and tweak and so far there haven't been any rips though someone was dumb enough to try and sell the source code.
If it isn't a Fan game, or it isn't terribly popular, you probably won't have this problem. The BYOND 4k games have their source codes released, and I have yet to see a copy of those... And they are very fun. Anything that will probably get people to be hosting everyday might have a problem.

So, I don't really think it matters too much if it isn't an RPG, but if it is, you might need to worry about it... Though when you release it, AND it is popular, EVERYONE can download it, so there wouldn't be much point in people hosting their own games and trying to get people to join... So I don't know.
In response to Kunark
Basicly what I was saying. It seems iffy, it hasnt really been done, so we have no idea what is going to happen.
make it so people can submit stuff to the game (systems, etc) but it isnt actually open source.
In response to Jermman
Jermman wrote:
make it so people can submit stuff to the game (systems, etc) but it isnt actually open source.

That could work, If some one made somthing special I could add it to the main server.

But I dont see much point in it because I would be making it open source for people to look at, learn, make their own updates and so on