ID:153497

There are a couple of games on byond I've seen that incorporate the better parts of role-playing. I now put forth an idea on this subject.

How about a RP-oriented adventure game that would be the byond equivalent of playing a game on paper? Here's what I mean.

The game can't even be played without someone to run it. This ensure that everyone WILL be on their best behaviour. It will eliminate bugs because the coding of the game will not require heavy "automated" coding; everything will be played between the person running it and the players.

And to top it off, the game revolves heavily around role-playing. Once in the game, there is no out-of-character conversation. That can only be carried out on the pager. All this time, the game involves team strategy and a written campaign so that the players have no idea what's going to come next because nobody has ever done it before, and nobody will do it again.

I've shared this idea with a few people. The big advantages of having a game like this on byond is the visual reinforcement of what is going on. On paper, you more or less imagine it. Here, you can imagine and you can see. And hear. Sound effects are always good. The one big disadvantage is that the game cannot be played without the campaign manager. Times would have to be scheduled to play. Still, I think it's worth a shot. What do you folks think?

Here's a website for the game in production (Skure - THG2):

http://www.geocities.com/dagolar/Skure.html

Take a look, write down your thoughts. The game won't be anything without good, serious players.

-Dagolar

I support the game 100% of my abilities, and I'm stickin with ya, Dag!

Please guys check out the website, It is VERY, detailed in every aspect of This new RP based game. Alot of effort went into getting the ideas organized, and we would like to see lots of players who are willing to RP on a regular basis.

If you haven't done alot of RP'ing, and look forward to it, by all means start hangin out in some of the Text Mud's/RP games allready on byond, and learn the basics.
It looks like you've put a lot of thought into it. Have you considered using BYOND Tabletop Gaming or a similar package?
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
It looks like you've put a lot of thought into it. Have you considered using BYOND Tabletop Gaming or a similar package?

I believe the general idea is to provide a toolset for graphical capabilities, that way a player can map out a campaign ahead of time. Essentially an online RPG-maker styled game, with runtime editing. (Am I right?) Also, I haven't used BTG in many a moon, so it could have been updated to provide this. I don't know.

~Polatrite~
In response to Gughunter
I can fill that one in for ya. As of right now we are developing a seperate game for our specific needs to tailor to the campaigns and the overall system. Our Coder Thorg is pretty crafy with the ideas to make it user-friendly. On a side note, The Players will not nessissarily be running their own campaigns, the BM, (BrotherHood Master, 'big guy') Will set up the campaign, as well as what NPC's his assigned team will encounter. The BM is like a guide, Not only running the game, but will sometimes if the team is short on number of players, the BM might participate in the battles as well, maybe just the first campaign as for the Players to get associated with gameplay.

Right now we're Fleshing out ideas of organizational methods to inter-link campaigns with other BM's campaigns, and this will help to preform Duel Team Campaigns; Where two or three BM's would lead their teams all together in one single campaign...but those are for later in the storyline Progression...

Dagolar doesn't really check the forums as often as I do, however you can still Post thoughts, comments, and questions here, I'll read 'em and ask Dag myself or direct you to a link on the site, or just answer the question.