ID:154821

Hello BYOND community. I've had an account for BYOND throughout the course of 2-3 years and have spent my time playing a multitude of games. Very recently, however, I have felt the impulse to begin coding and to create my very own BYOND game. I have read and understood the guide all the way up to Chapter 6, Procs. At this point, I have begun to think about several specific situations and have questions about several of them

For the first, consider this piece of code from the guide.

mob
var/life = 100

proc/HurtMe(D)
life = life - D
if(life < 0)
view() << "[src] dies!"
del src

Now add a Global Variable.

var/global/Strength/x
value = 10

mob
var/life = 100

proc/HurtMe(D)
life = life - D
if(life < 0)
view() << "[src] dies!"
del src

In the proc HurtMe(D) I'd like to replace D with an inequality such as .01x < D <.06x (.01x and .06x as % of X)so that the level of damage would be in between the those two % of whatever the Strength may be. Whenever I put it in as an inequality, as such, however, I get the error report :

....dm:7:error: x: missing comma ',' or right-paren ')'
....dm:7:error: No such node: .1
....dm:7:error: x: expected end of statement
....dm:7:error: ): expected }
....dm:5:error: location of top-most unmatched {

How do I revise such a code to work to my liking? On top of that, what if I wanted to write the inequalities less-than or equal and greater then or equal to? How would I depict the two of them? I'm still a beginner at coding, so please don't think of me as an idiot. I'm not currently working on a project, but when I do, it will probably involve bits of code similar to this.
I'm not up with math formulas at all, so I'm not sure what
0.1 multiplied by less than D might mean?
I'm going to try and continue without the knowledge though...

I think you should be able to define the max and min percentage of damage based on D by doing something like
HurtMe(D)
var
MaximumDamage=D*1.1 //110%
MinimumDamage=D*0.9 //90%
ActualDamage = rand(MinimumDamage, MaximumDamage) //picks a whole number between MinimumDamage's value, and MaximumDamage's value
life -= ActualDamage //using -= is a better way of modifying life

Also, you can use DM in < and > signs to create code boxes (as above)
You have to put 0.1 rather than .1.

You're defining datums incorrectly. (Strength/whatnot)
In response to Saucepan Man
This explained a great deal to me and I think I can get it from here. Thanks.