ID:1552268

Well, there is this thing I have been working on during my free time, which isn't much, has to be said.

To be said, it is not a Naruto game thing or anything, I am merely using the same kind of energy source, which is based on both physical and spiritual energy and the theory is pretty similar.

Initially I used 16 by 12 turf icons, which were auto-linked with each other on run-time based on turf edge templates. Also due to the BYOND limitation in terms of maps, I therefore decided to take advantage of it, the void areas are animated with stars and the color shifting on the background, which can be assigned differently, based on the areas the player is in, as to create different atmospheric effects.

Due to the space limitations I made the graphics scale up 3 times during run-time, this way I have more space to deal with. All icons are only scaled once and are later reused in various cases to reduce processing and resource loads.

The inventory system is quite minimalistic, of course taking advantage of the new animation functions in terms of displaying the selected item. Upon selection the current item is shrunk and swapped out to the icon of the new selection and then grown out, after which it will get a slight rotation from -5 to 5 degree angle as an infinite loop. Needless to say the inventory reads the verbs of the items and handles them as commands to be used. As well as item stack limits can be changed.

The statistic screen however, seems to be quite cramped, due to the plentiful attributes and vital stats. While having a lot of attributes is not very good, they are interconnected and serve their purpose very well, so they are quite justified. Some of you might recognize the system as similar to the World of Darkness system, while having some differences. Skills can be added and removed at run-time and are directly related to attributes as both attributes and skills are calculated and their sum rolled to get action successes.

Going for a minimalist-pixely graphics style, which reduces the workload of the developer, while it has it's obvious weaknesses, it also has it's strengths.

You are welcome to comment!
This looks freaking amazing o:
Reminds me of Realms of the Mad God, at least the outline for the character anyway.

Nice huds/interface though.
Thank you, haven't had much time lately to work on it, been commissioned outside the country for a while as well as simply being exhausted.

I did start work on the power/skill creation interface, at this point it is rather primitive, ideally I'll get it done properly soon, though maybe not before next week, since I'll not be at home for at least till Sunday.

Thanks for the good words, they give some extra motivation to keep it up, so it is always welcome.

Also, I haven't played Realms of the Mad God, but I hear it had permanent death, I suppose that is one thing it shares with it, if I choose to implement it.
Think 2D bullet hell with high-score / profile progression character unlocks and item collecting + perma death and all item loss onto the field. It's pretty fun and they balance it out since you could max out a character in a hour or so.
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
they balance it out since you could max out a character in a hour or so.

That's not really true - you get to level 20, the maximum level, in an hour. But reaching level 20 only gives you the first leg of your total stat gain. For example, as a wizard your maximum attack at level 20 is 50...but if you get 25 attack potions it will go up to 75. More importantly, wizard has 0 defense, and never gains any through leveling, although his real max defense is 25.

I'm sure you don't really care about all that, it's just that saying "max out a character" made it sound like you are done with the game in an hour, when in fact any non-newbie would consider level 20 to be the beginning of the game.

Anyway, back on topic I really like what you're showing, Taitz. I find the interface style to be very pleasing, and I think others should take note because it's not visually complex and that's a good thing.

Do you have any sort of direction laid out, in terms of story/objectives/etc? I love the atmosphere in the shots, and it gives me a kind of mysterious feeling, compelling me to ask "where is this place, and what happens there?"
I just meant you get to end-game content of that character, even if that just the beginning of the end game content. But I didn't know those exact details, thanks.
At this moment I don't quite have specific plans laid out, although I do certainly have a vision for it. The general idea would be that the character not only lives their lifespan, be it ended by natural or traumatic death, but also several reincarnations of yourself. Which would mean that certain things such as a percentage of exp from previous incarnations transfers to the current one, as well certain stats. The characters would try to understand and master the universe they live in, by manipulating themselves and the world around them.

In terms on genre I'd like to define it as action/rpg/sandbox, the sandbox element would be the creation of powers/techniques your character creates/modifies and uses. Characters obtain abilities by passing thresholds in attributes or skills and lose them if they fall in these aspects. These abilities are then used and combined into powers, which do the world manipulation.

Well this is kinda what I am aiming for, I already do have the systems for it, though the interface is incomplete for now. Anyway writing this on my celly is pretty annoying.
HUD/Interface looks really great.

I was about to start on my own on-screen inventory system like this, in hopes the HTML5 client comes soon, so that things will be compatible, plus it will come out a lot more professional than the current statpanel to display inventory in the game currently.
I really like the HUD / Interface. It looks great.
I have been busy for almost 3 weeks with my girlfriend recovering from her surgery, so I am back in action again, although I did get a new laptop in the meanwhile due to my old one almost dying on me, recovering my previous project files could take some time due to it being on a different location from my home. No worries however, I can pretty much recover everything from my memory.