ID:155946

So I'm trying to make an rpg game but i dont know what formula to use to distribute the right stats for my characters..

The races i have so far are elf orc and human which is able to be chosen a class of warrior magician and berserker

The orc obviously have more strength.. the human is balanced and elf has more mana

The stats they have are

var
health
maxhealth
defence
strength
magic
mana
maxmana

I dont know if i should add any more attributes.. but if you think i should please let me know.

What i need is a formula for them. Please help.
The great thing about making your own game is that you get to pick and choose which stats you want and which ones you don't. My recommendation here is NO STATS. :) If your going to design/develop on the fly, then only add them when you have a need for them. If you get as far as having two mobs running into each other on the map, and you want them to fight, then, make them fight first. Now that they are fighting, what's next? Damage. Now, make each one do damage to the other. Tweak the damage until it feels about right. Now what? Make the damage count. Now we need HP. Add HP. Tweak the HP until feels right. Now we need death.

If you want more complex battles, try adding additional stats but consider adding and completing one stat at a time. See how the one stat impacts your game play and complexity.

ts
In response to Tsfreaks
This really isn't a Developer How-To thread, more like something tailored for Design Philosophy.
I assume you're wanting idea's on Game Mechanics? That's one of my favorite parts of developing games, but it's also one of the hardest to do properly. It requires excellent mathematics skills and a basic understanding of non-linear functions to create something balanced. The Blizzard Dev team work for WEEKS on Developing, Testing, Editing, ect. Game mechanics for WoW. They have to get them just right, or the whole game can be quickly exploited and thrown out of whack! If you want some tips, you can always refer to This Post that i made a few days ago, bantering about my methods of creating a good, balanced, mechanic to determine stats and whatnot. If you have any questions, I'm usually available at [email protected], feel free to add me on MSN if you ever need any help privately. I'm more than willing to oblige.