ID:156712

in most games you see a stat bar on the skin. i was wondering how i do that. i have no clue where to start.
also sorry for spamming this fourm with questions.
If you really were sorry for spamming this forum with questions, you would read the Guide and the Skin Reference.

It would take you less than 2 minutes if you tried searching for the information.

A Bar is one of the attributes you can use inside a skin, which can be set above and placed on your map if you wish. It's current status can be edited by using <code>winset()</code>. You can also create a graphical one, which most likely wouldn't be as efficient, but could look nicer. Just search for a demo.

[Edit]: I'm laughing out loud at how bad this guy just got pwned.
In response to Darkjohn66
And he wouldn't "yawn" at helpful advice.
It's ok , if you have a question i advise you to go to a rip and ask for help , seeing as BYOND'S forum's are filled with stuck up people like them.

Koz
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
It's ok , if you have a question i advise you to go to a rip and ask for help , seeing as BYOND'S forum's are filled with stuck up people like them.

Koz

<font size=7>YAWN</font>
In response to Garthor
the hillarous thing about it iz your mad at a yawn. if i would have left my original txt you would be even more iritated you should be focused more on bettering the community of byond rather than bringing it down over such trivial matters. you people never stop to suprise me on a level that shows just how ignorent you are.

but on another note to the people who have a real brain in the idea that they care to create more good coders for byond and to bring byond beyond as its greatest goal forward.

only reason i asked is because on most of the skin tut's and lib's they mostly only talk about pains and output and input and stat pannel. the stat pannel i have my hp shows up their but i want it to be an real icon rather than just txt

[Edit]haha funny how people can get so emotional online when its not even that important. if your really that bored to waste your time try doing it productivly and achualy helping people and not telling them how stupid they are at somthing "NOT EVERYONE IS GREAT AT".
In response to Bigj822
There is a difference between not being good at something/being new at something, and not trying at all, then getting frustrated when you get answers that have put the same amount of effort in you have at answering your own questions. Grow up, and Good Game.

Another funny note: The skin reference mostly talks about pains?!!!! *Almost Peed a little*.
In response to Bigj822
My eyes just sort of glazed over when I tried to read that.

Sorry, but I really do know better than you do. You've already refused to put forth even the bare minimum of effort required to learn. Beyond that, you then proceeded to act like a spoiled little brat. Considering you are pretty much asking (or, more accurately, demanding) we make your game for you, this is incredibly stupid.

So, yeah, I'm not going to bother trying to help you any more. Consider your bridges burnt and this whole thing a practical lesson in how not to deal with other people. Hopefully you'll glean something of value from it.

Also: I really don't give half a crap about anything you have to say, so feel free to keep it to yourself.
I feel like I missed something here, since I don't see that there was actually any advice given out, but I can try to help as I can.

One thing I'm not clear on is what you mean by "stat bar". Do you mean a bar that shows a stat, like health or XP or something, or do you mean a tabbed control that has a list of stats, or do you mean the status bar at the bottom of the window?

For a status bar at the bottom of a window, all you need to do is turn on a checkbox for that in your skin file.

If you want a stat control with tabs, this is also known as an info control; you can add one to your skin in the editor. Be sure to mark it as a default control. To fill it in with values, look up the Stat() proc.

If you mean you want a bar that shows a specific stat like health or XP, that's a bar control. That too can be added in the skin editor. To set its value during the game, you'll need to use winset() whenever the value changes.

Of course, you might not mean any of those things. Some games show their stats right over the map as part of a HUD. To do that you need to create an object and add it to client.screen, and update it when the value changes.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I feel like I missed something here, since I don't see that there was actually any advice given out, but I can try to help as I can.

One thing I'm not clear on is what you mean by "stat bar". Do you mean a bar that shows a stat, like health or XP or something, or do you mean a tabbed control that has a list of stats, or do you mean the status bar at the bottom of the window?

For a status bar at the bottom of a window, all you need to do is turn on a checkbox for that in your skin file.

If you want a stat control with tabs, this is also known as an info control; you can add one to your skin in the editor. Be sure to mark it as a default control. To fill it in with values, look up the Stat() proc.

If you mean you want a bar that shows a specific stat like health or XP, that's a bar control. That too can be added in the skin editor. To set its value during the game, you'll need to use winset() whenever the value changes.

Of course, you might not mean any of those things. Some games show their stats right over the map as part of a HUD. To do that you need to create an object and add it to client.screen, and update it when the value changes.

Lummox JR

Thank you Lummox. I was talking about the winset() i went to the guide and i got a little somthing to work with.

And for the constant refrence that you people miss use "effort" "the deffiniton of effort is the physical or mental energy to do somthing." now in the case of coding to even have a question about somthing without being a leach you would have to had tried it. I do not come here for your constant supposed smart remark's or to rip off your coding because the fact is you cant learn anything if you dont try yourself so if you see my posts its because iv tried on my own and none of the things i know how to do allow me to do what i want. So leading back to my deffiniton in all my posts i have done the "effort or work" to back up why im asking ,and besides that point why would it matter to you if someone wanted to just leach? Its not like you care to answer in the first place.
In response to Bigj822
Define:effort

• attempt: earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something; "made an effort to cover all the reading material"; "wished him luck in his endeavor"; "she gave it a good try"
  • use of physical or mental energy; hard work; "he got an A for effort"; "they managed only with great exertion"
  • feat: a notable achievement; "he performed a great feat"; "the book was her finest effort"
  • campaign: a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end; "he supported populist campaigns"; "they worked in the cause of world peace"; "the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant"; "the movement to end slavery"; "contributed to the war effort"
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
My eyes just sort of glazed over when I tried to read that.

Sorry, but I really do know better than you do. You've already refused to put forth even the bare minimum of effort required to learn. Beyond that, you then proceeded to act like a spoiled little brat. Considering you are pretty much asking (or, more accurately, demanding) we make your game for you, this is incredibly stupid.

So, yeah, I'm not going to bother trying to help you any more. Consider your bridges burnt and this whole thing a practical lesson in how not to deal with other people. Hopefully you'll glean something of value from it.

Also: I really don't give half a crap about anything you have to say, so feel free to keep it to yourself.

Agree 100% ...
In response to Wolfnova
He made up his own definition of effort.
In response to Bigj822
You don't NEED to make a screen object to have a bar appear over the map. Just make sure the bar was created before the map in the skin editor, as it layers the skin objects based on the order in which they were made.