ID:1567595

Hello, BYOND'ers.
I have recently been getting messages from random people, Asking me to check out a game.
It gets quite annoying, Day after day of receiving messages.
Also, I see posts on games, Advertising a game.

I understand that its hard to get a game recognized, But some people go too far.

Does the BYOND staff do anything about people advertising or is this kind of behavior acceptable?

-Greggreg31-
Just because BYOND can't do anything about it, doesn't mean it's acceptable to anyone.

If this spam is happening in your own games or their hub pages, then it's entirely up to you to handle it.

If it happens on the main BYOND forums, it's usually dealt with pretty quickly and the poster could end up banned (from posting on the forums) for a while.

If it's happening in the pager, just block them.
I see, Thank you Kaiochao.
I think BYOND should act when such case happens and proof is given. I'm pretty sure that saying "It's not on the forums, so not our problem" is a bit silly comparing to the mass messages being sent to hundreds of people nearly every hour of the day. Forums, MMO's, games and chat-related programs alike take action against these things most of the time, why don't we? Might go a long way into cleaning up.
In response to Laser50
Laser50 wrote:
I think BYOND should act when such case happens and proof is given.

Why? It's your game you've got your own staff, let yourself handle it...

Personally I wouldn't care if people advertised in my game (If I had one complete). If people are that desperate for players, it's not going to be a good game, and players who leave my game to play this crappy game are the players I wouldn't really want playing my game in the first place. If they played both then fair doo's...

It's not like they could spam my game with advertising anyway since I'd have a spam protection system in place.

And if advertising was done on my forum I'd just remove it when I saw it, no big deal.
I was referring mostly to the pager spam, having endured it countless times, blocked many people, it seems a bit worse than regular forum spam since it's one post and not 100, as is the amount of people most of the spam is sent to.
Oh I see, I've only ever experienced pager spam once and that guy is blocked now so I don't really have an input on that.
In response to Howey
Howey wrote:
Oh I see, I've only ever experienced pager spam once and that guy is blocked now so I don't really have an input on that.

I have got multiple messages, To join a game. Each time I blocked that person from my pager, and yet I still got more messages from a different account(or person?), Asking me to join the same game. If someone really wants to advertise their game, Blocking one person usually doesn't do it ( From my experiences ) Does blocking someone on your pager block all of their accounts? ( IP/Computer ID? ) Or does it just block that account you blocked? Its horrible how far people will go, to try to get people. If their game is really that good, they shouldn't have to spam the SH** out of people to get players.
I think it's just the account that's blocked. I may guess that the game is a DBZ game? I only know of one person who actually uses multiple accounts to spam advertise a DBZ game (Not sure if he still does it) and that's Atol Soldier (I think that's his name?), but that was awhile ago the last time I got a spam message from him.
In response to Howey
Howey wrote:
I may guess that the game is a DBZ game?

No, Its actually a Naruto game. ( you were close! )

Atol Soldier (I think that's his name?)

Yes, Atol Soldier is his name, He has been known to advertise " his " DBZ game(He had a rip a little while back).

I think it's just the account that's blocked.

Ah, I see, Thanks.

Greggreg31 wrote:
Does the BYOND staff do anything about people advertising

Short answer: no.

Long answer: noooooooooooo.