Terulia

by Gakumerasara
Terulia
ID:1574341

Way back when Final Fantasy Online was in its heyday, there were two practical limitations that prevented expansion of the game (aside from Square's C&D):
1. irregular spikes in CPU usage (on a single thread) when >35 players were online which made the game unplayable if ~65 players were logged in, and
2. the huge map, which required that all of the many game areas be simultaneously present and further complicated issues like pathfinding and targeting.

To avoid similar problems in the future, and along with other efficiency improvements, I have implemented a system where Terulia can now run on separate linked game shards. Where before I was limited to a single server, I expect to be able to run between 4-16 shards per PC, each dedicated to a different area in-game (whether static or dynamic/instanced), and which will allow for a vast expansion of the game due to the random map generator.

If you feel so inclined, I could use some help with trying to break the system. The current setup:

S1 is the login server
S2 is the "regular" Fort Eldon server
S3 is a simplified/test Fort Eldon server

Trying to login to anything other than S1 should redirect you to S2 (your spawn server) if you already have a character, or otherwise direct you back to S1 to make a new character.

Once you are logged in, using "say" will teleport you between S2 and S3 for testing purposes.

Please note that many other game elements are still in need of an overhaul and/or completely broken (especially the HUD, terrain icons, and parts of the combat system), so if you decide to test out other aspects of the game, please keep that in mind.

The test will be up all day as needed. Please report any weirdness that you encounter (preferably here); thanks.