ID:157800

I've read my copy of the Byond guide, and created a simple game using all of the examples contained in it. I also have read Tsugumo's pixel art tutorial, scanned through the refrence a little bit, and now I feel stuck.... what should I do to hone my skills? Is there some kind of challenge I can be given that I could do by using my guide? hmm....I feel as though im not yet ready to jump into making some complex rpg. Save files and overlays are still a bit confusing to me, and im not exactly sure where to begin.... Yes, I do want to make some sort of anime based rpg game, but I think that would be too challenging at the moment. I also lack the ability to make icons larger than say, 64 by 64, because my computer lags really badly, and I don't have photoshop and don't get gimp...
I've read my copy of the Byond guide, and created a simple game using all of the examples contained in it. I also have read Tsugumo's pixel art tutorial, scanned through the refrence a little bit, and now I feel stuck.... what should I do to hone my skills? Is there some kind of challenge I can be given that I could do by using my guide? hmm....I feel as though im not yet ready to jump into making some complex rpg. Save files and overlays are still a bit confusing to me, and im not exactly sure where to begin.... Yes, I do want to make some sort of anime based rpg game, but I think that would be too challenging at the moment.

Read the reference, don't just skim through it...you need to know what most, if not all, the commands do. After that just try to make what you want. Have any questions, ask them here. The BYOND community is pretty friendly.

I also lack the ability to make icons larger than say, 64 by 64, because my computer lags really badly, and I don't have photoshop and don't get gimp...

I like Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net), it's a free alternative to PhotoShop. I would try it out.