ID:1580452

(See the best response by Jittai.)
Can someone help me make a run process? I want to make players move faster when holding a macro or toggle a running process. Can someone help me out with this or direct me in the right way? [Semi-New to coding]
You should be using a different sleep value for the Move() function, and an adjustable variable that tells whether or not they're running:

mob/player
var
canmove = true
running = false //Change this on a key's press and release.
Move()
if(!canmove) //If they can't move...
return 0 // Just ignore the function.
if(running) //If they're running...
.=..() //Move a tile
canmove = false //Let them know that they can't move.
sleep(5) //Wait for half of a second (or whatever number, really.)
canmove = true //The wait is over, they can move again.
return . //return the function for cleanliness
else //If they're not running...
.=..() //Move a tile
canmove = false //Same deal..
sleep(10) //Wait a bit longer than if they were running...
canmove = true //Yup.
return . //Clean return.

This is obviously a really sloppy example, but it shows you basically how this can be achieved. To make it look well, I'd suggest adjusting the glide_size for each run and walk. Obviously running would require a faster glide from one tile to the other. Just muck around with the speeds to get the animation smooth enough.

Even if you're not well versed in programming, you should be able to read this fairly plainly without much more explanation.
You could compress alot of that by making the if only effect the sleep().
Thank you @Solomn Architect.

What do you mean? @Jittai.

//How would I make them move even faster? I'm making a naruto game and I want Rock Lee gates to allow them to move faster than anyone.
Kryu is my other key.
Best response
Less repeat lines and makes adding cases/instances where the delay would be changed easier to add. For example the current walking delay would be 10 while the running 5, if you wanted to allow people to go even faster you could add another line that checks for "lee gates" and removes 4 from time - making the speeds 6/1 respectively.

mob/player
var
canmove = true
running = false //Change this on a key's press and release.
Move()
if(!canmove) return 0//If they can't move stop the function.
var/time = 10//default speed 10 = 1 second
if(running) time=5//If they're running...
..() //Move a tile
canmove = false //Let them know that they can't move.
sleep(time) //Wait for [time] 10ths of a second(s)
canmove = true //The wait is over, they can move again.
return 1 //return the function for cleanliness

In response to Jittai
Yup. A much cleaner example. Although realistically, the efficiency of either snippet is negligible.
He's not talking about efficiency, just maintainability.
In response to Ter13
Either one would be maintainable.
Actually, I do have a complaint about both approaches. You are arbitrarily returning 1 without actually seeing whether the movement was successful.
In response to Ter13
And the ever-so-apparent crucifying of never-compiled code continues. Lol, change all ..()s to .=..() then and just return . I'm writing from memory at this point. I hardly touch the DM IDE anymore.