Kalero

by Edit Nero
Kalero
Where does your journey begin?
ID:1590075

I go back to the hospital tomorrow for the doc to check my wrist if it's healing properly than I might get a brace on it, that way I can start work on the game again! Although I started/added what I could with one hand. For those that want to know my injuries were: a concussion, a broke wrist, something went in my knee and made a hole, and my left lung collapsed.

-Fixed bugs
-Combat/Level System (wip)
-Chatbox (wip)
-Inventory system (wip)
-Bug report and Suggestion system added.
-Name under character added.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Dam man that sounds like hell,well good luck healing,i'm cheering for you and looking nice btw.
In response to Deadlypure
Thank you! c:
:) i hope you heal alright buddy, nice update by the way dude looking nice bro!!!
Looks good.
Hope your feeling good now.
Until you're fully healed, will you be developing the game in shorts and shirtless?
In response to Lige
You know it! (:
Theactivenet wrote:
Stick to RPG Maker if you're going to be running their art, kid.

Attempt a project before you criticize another developer utilizing available resources, kid.
Solid, Thick, Tight. Gratatata
In response to Lavitiz
Lavitiz wrote:
Theactivenet wrote:
Stick to RPG Maker if you're going to be running their art, kid.

Attempt a project before you criticize another developer utilizing available resources, kid.

Agreed,....gratatata aha

I completely understand where you are coming from, all art currently being shown is placeholders since there to my knowledge is a shortage of pixel artists and most now a days charge. And due to my injuries money is tight, I am sorry I disappointed you!
To be fair, I don't think there is any shame in using them. The only reason people tend to dislike them is because they're overused.

I personally like RPG Maker's tile-sets. I have a big package of them compressed in my dropbox folder. :<
Ragnarok Online spin-off? Not even close, just inspired by. Cheap? Not at all. Perfect? Of course not. Poorly programmed library? Sure. It's not anything special.

As for the tile-sets, I encourage people to use them. I haven't read the terms for using them so I wouldn't know if it's a copyright violation. However, for small non-comercial projects? It's not going to be a big deal, hence why they're still being used. Enterbrain can step in at any moment and C&D the projects using said assets.

I can't say how good of a developer you are, but we all start somewhere. Everyone does. I started at the bottom, you started at the bottom. Instead of being rude to the developers here who're trying to create their net dream, you could instead provide some inspiration and maybe some kind words?

The more mature developers in the Byond community recognize that the future of Byond itself is partially determined by newer developers, including the newbies. Quit trying to scare them off and find something better to do with your time.
Theactivenet wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
As for the tile-sets, I encourage people to use them. I haven't read the terms for using them so I wouldn't know if it's a copyright violation. However, for small non-comercial projects? It's not going to be a big deal, hence why they're still being used. Enterbrain can step in at any moment and C&D the projects using said assets.

I didn't know they were going to be provisional assets, that much was not stated prior. I still don't recommend them by any means, to me they're attractive and lead me to believe the project won't be taken seriously. Art's not hard to make.

Sadly, not everyone is capable of being a good artist. I wish it were that simple.

Theactivenet wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
Instead of being rude to the developers here who're trying to create their net dream, you could instead provide some inspiration and maybe some kind words?

If it's their "net dream", then sure. I just assume when somebody starts on a game, that their intention is make it commercial in the future, and make some money off of it.

Once again, not every project plans to make money. Even if they did, it doesn't mean it will happen with these assets either.

Theactivenet wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
The more mature developers in the Byond community recognize that the future of Byond itself is partially determined by newer developers, including the newbies. Quit trying to scare them off and find something better to do with your time.

No it's determined by the income, which factors are advertisement, donations, and revenue produced by games, and none of those factors are exclusive to "newbies". Just about anyone can salvage BYOND financially if they put in the time and effort, but a lot of people would rather spend their time elsewhere.

Donations, ad revenue, and revenue produced by games all comes from developers and other community members.

At some point older developers leave, and newer ones come in. They generally start off as a newbie, and some of them turn out to have great potential down the line. So yes, in theory without new people coming in byond will eventually have a decline in revenue.

For example, I started in the fan-game community in 2007. Did a tiny bit of ripping as well. Now I'm a developer with potential who has contributed to Byond. Not a whole lot, but I have contributed.

As for my current project, I expect that to be a contribution as well. Financially, not too much unless I donate some but if the project turns out to be a success, then maybe it can drag new people into the community.

Theactivenet wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
For example, I started in the fan-game community in 2007. Did a tiny bit of ripping as well. Now I'm a developer with potential who has contributed to Byond. Not a whole lot, but I have contributed.

A bit self-proclaimed, much? I don't think you've made BYOND anything other than what was made from the purchase of your membership. As far as I can see, you didn't help it stay afloat at all.

I've gifted some memberships in support of Byond. Not a lot, but every person doing something makes a difference.

Harmony Online is my first serious project.

I've read through your old posts and could say the same thing about you as you have me. My points remain valid.

EDIT: I'm sure most people would agree with me that you started here being slightly rude and arrogant.
Theactivenet wrote:
Lavitiz wrote:
I've read through your old posts and could say the same thing about you as you have me. My points remain valid.

Which point is that? You tried to make several, and most of my post are years and years old.

Read and review the messages we've been exchanging.

For now I'm done with this discussion, it's completely derailed the topic. Feel free to page me if you feel the need to continue speaking.

Once again, not every project plans to make money. Even if they did, it doesn't mean it will happen with these assets either.

He probably does, and so I gave a prerequisite of doing so.

I started this project for one reason, that is that it's my dream to make games for everyone to play and have fun on. I in no way want money, making said assumption is not right without valid proof that I just want money.
Let the fun begin!
First off RPG Maker wouldn't care if you used there graphics to make a game for non profit, if they would they would have sued half the game makers out there on youtube if they cared that much. Next, just cuz he used the graphics you're going to start hating? Graphics is a huge appeal to games on byond ,if you don't have a demo how else would they expect the game would be like and if you don't have good graphics not alot of people would play the game, obviously if hes bad at graphics he wouldn't have drawn the characters he used place holders inorder to later on find a graphic artist.

Anyways i kinda get your perspective maybe he shouldn't have used the RPG maker graphics because they are highly overused, but that doesn't give you a reason to hate.
Page: 1 2