ID:159108

Is it possible to update a players icon in game? Currently when I add a new icon state, my character wont be able to use that icon state unless I remake. Is there any way to have a verb that updates a players icon to the newest changes?
icon_states might prove a useful function for your purpose.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
icon_states might prove a useful function for your purpose.

???

I know about icon states and all the basics. I need to know how to update the icon to the same one, but to it's newer, modified form. I tried src.icon='whatevericon.dmi' but it didn't update it.
In response to Forerunnerz
icon_states() is a function that returns a list with each icon_state in the icon file, so do not mistake it for icon_state. The two are essentially different.
icon = 'whatever.dmi' would naturally not work, because that implies the file is already available during compile-time.

You would have to get the icon file, for example through an input prompt, then assign it to the atom in question and make sure that one of the icon_state(s) in icon_states is set.
You must actually set the player's icon to the new, updated icon file before you can use an icon_state it it, naturally. This can only be done by recompiling and rebooting or dynamically loading the new file in-game, like you can with an icon input().