ID:159138

I've been trying to port forward recently but my IP isn't compatible for port forwarding. It is: 10.0.2.15

I don't know how I got that IP. I'm running VISTA black edition through VirtualBox but I can't port forward unless my IP is somewhere along the lines of: 192.168._._

Any ideas on how I can host games without port forwarding or how I can get a regular IP?

All help appreciated, Forerunnerz.
Forerunnerz wrote:
I've been trying to port forward recently but my IP isn't compatible for port forwarding. It is: 10.0.2.15
IIRC the 10.XX range of IPs is assigned by default by your computer if it doesn't get ahold of a DHCP server. I'd check to make sure your router has DHCP assignment enabled.

I don't know how I got that IP. I'm running VISTA black edition through VirtualBox but I can't port forward unless my IP is somewhere along the lines of: 192.168._._
What is your native OS if you are running windows through a VM? This could be your issue right here.
I've never used VirtualBox but I know that many virtual machines have issues with IP assignment and networking. I use Microsoft Virtual PC and it connects to the router as if it was its own computer...

Check what the IP of your native OS is, and see if it is in the 10.XX range as well. If it isn't then your problem is probably from your VM. If it IS then your problem is probably with your router.

Any ideas on how I can host games without port forwarding or how I can get a regular IP?

To the first part: You can't. That's the answer.
To the second part: Answer the above questions and we will work on it. :)
Forerunnerz wrote:

Uh, I don't see why not. Find your router at http://portforward.com/ and follow the guides, maybe skip the part where it asks you to change the option to say you have a static IP (never worked for me, do it if it works though).
In response to Kuraudo
This brought up a thought for me...
Just go into network connections and set your IP manually to 192.168.1.2 or something to that effect. It should accept it just fine. (under your network connection/properties)
In response to AJX
I'm using on a MacBook with OS X Leopard. For BYOND I use Virtual Box with Vistas Black Edition.
In response to Forerunnerz
AJX wrote:
I'd check to make sure your router has DHCP assignment enabled.
Check what the IP of your native OS is, and see if it is in the 10.XX range as well. If it isn't then your problem is probably from your VM. If it IS then your problem is probably with your router.
Forerunnerz wrote:

All help appreciated, Forerunnerz.

If your IP is in the 10.0.x.x range then you're on a LAN with a router. Visiting 10.0.0.1 in any browser window and checking the addresses of the internal devices should ascertain if you have the correct LAN address, and you should also be able to set up port forwarding from there.
You can port-forward to any damned IP you like. 10.0.2.15 is in the 10.x.x.x range, which is reserved for LANs, so it's double just-fine.

If your router firmware only lets you port-forward to 192.168.x.x addresses, it's doing it wrong. If your guide specifies that you need an address of that format, it's also doing it wrong (Or simplifying far, far too much).

Just for reference, my computer has an IP of 10.0.0.2 and I can forward to it just fine.
In response to Jp
Some routers are actually have "192.168." as a text, unchangeable, with the other 2 you can put whatever you want.

I forgot which router I had did this >_<
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
Some routers are actually have "192.168." as a text, unchangeable, with the other 2 you can put whatever you want.

Wouldn't that mean that the DHCP server would have the same limitation? In that case, wouldn't you get a 192.168.x.x IP address by default?
In response to Android Data
Ah, true, I would assume so :o
In response to Android Data
Only if you use DHCP. I've got static addesses configured on our computers. At least, the wired ones.

Regardless, any router doing that is broken at a fundamental level.
In response to AJX
Here are more details on my problem.

10.0.0.1 doesn't work, I even entered my gateway in the url doesn't work. Both show up as an invalid site.

My IP is currently set as 10.0.2.15

DHCP: Enabled

My router, NETGEAR WGR614v7 doesn't allow you to input IP's like 10.0.2.15. Only lets you set up IP's like 192.168._._.

All the fields for the IP are editable and show up as ___.___._._. When you try to enter in the IP that is similar to --.-.-.-- it comes up with this error and returns you to the previous page. Server IP address must be a LAN IP address.