ID:159182

Has anyone released a library or set of components that would allow you to boot up, shut down, or otherwise fool around with Dreamdaemon via your web browser from a remote machine? I have a server sitting here with 3 cores almost completely idle 95% of the time, it could be a perfectly functional BYOND host machine if game creators had a way to manage their games remotely on my machine.

Just curious if anyone has created anything like this, my limited searching hasn't turned up anything.

~Polatrite~
Out of my own curiousity as much as a suggestion (and I very well could be speaking out of ignorance here), but:
Can't you use putty or some other SSH? Is there a reason you need to do it via web browser?
^
| (Doesn't do a lot of hosting)
Polatrite wrote:
(...) a remote machine (...)

Running which OS?
Or, in other words, DM CGI might be capable of doing the job for you (on Linux).
In response to TheMonkeyDidIt
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
Out of my own curiousity as much as a suggestion (and I very well could be speaking out of ignorance here), but:
Can't you use putty or some other SSH? Is there a reason you need to do it via web browser?
^
| (Doesn't do a lot of hosting)

I would be hosting on Windows. I use Windows for everything, including my web and file host (I really have no interest in Linux at all).

The target library would basically feature a user login, a way to start or stop a game belonging to that user on a prespecified port, and a way to change the basic Daemon options - trust level and visibility level.

Using these and FTP, I think a basic hosting plan could be implemented rather easily.

~Polatrite~
In response to Polatrite
I'm thinking this is going to be tricky on Windows, for two reasons.

Firstly I don't think Windows DreamDaemon is designed for that kind of automated control, unlike the Linux build.
Secondly I don't really know how capable the Windows command line is, whether you could retrieve PIDs for Dreamseeker instances and perhaps manipulate them through a rudimentary kill/start arrangement.

Frankly neither Windows nor BYOND on Windows seem up to the task of automated remote process management via a web interface. I can foresee perhaps something like AutoIt scripting called in some manner, but it cries both hack and buggy.