ID:1593883

Hey if you remember me posting back here. I am not an expert in DM so I post in Game Development. It seems that Game Development forum is the only place where you can get any kind of help. Well anyway the last few months I stopped using BYOND and focused on getting my CIS degree by going to college and learning various low-level languages, so far Java and C++. It is actually because of BYOND that I get such good grades in my C++ and Java classes. I learned a lot here about DM since DM is my first OOL. All thanks to BYOND I am able to learn these languages much easier. They are pretty easy so far. Well anyway I wanted to talk about other gaming engines. I tried RPG Maker Vx Ace(RM) and Unity and didn't like them as much as DM. RM was too limited. Not only can you create only Japanese rpg games but you ar every limited in what you can do. It is also very expensive. They give you some icons and music but if you don't know the code you can't make a decent game. The game uses RGSS3(Ruby Game Scripting System 3) based on the programming language Ruby. The thing is there are few resources teaching Ruby and fewer teaching RGSS3. There are forums but I don't think they're as helpful as they are here. And DM is easier to learn. I am learning how to use Unity but it too looks too limited but I have plenty of resources to learn the codes. So I think DM is the best engine I have seen so far. With it you can learn at a decent pace and make any kind of a game. Until I learn how to create professional games I will stick to DM.
did you call

java and c++ low level?

i don't

what
In response to Super Saiyan X
They are low level. By that I don't mean they're low usefulness. I mean they are very close to the computer language whereas high level is closer to human language.
I'm pretty sure low-level's definition stems deeper than the verbosity of the language.

...but if we're going by human language as high level...are you saying Java, one of the most verbose languages you'll ever see, is low level? It's more verbose than BYOND.

Same with C++.

Let's ignore the fact that Java runs in a Virtual Machine.

Low-level refers to the lack of abstraction, how deeply it is connected to the hardware architecture and instructions provided by it, without offering much deviation from it.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Oh? Because online I read that these 2 are low-level languages but in college I think I learned they are actually high level languages so I could be wrong here.
In response to TheDarkChakra
C++ and Java are high level languages, though with C++ you can do low level programming due to its interoperability with C (and by extension, interoperability with assembly language).
So anyway I wanted to talk about BYOND and DM and other languages. I compliment BYOND and say that BYOND and DM is the best gaming engine I have seen so far and its my first one too. So I will use that for a while now.
I always thought C was the low level programming language? Not C++? And isn't Assembly also low level? C++, Java, C#, DM, are all high-leveled.

But, yeah. DM is a really interesting Game Engine. However, it's not as flexible as most people would like it to be. To our community, we are perfectly fine with its flexibility. To a professional game developer, it's very strict. I've noticed this. I've even had my programmer partner say that while BYOND has neat features that make developing a breeze, the limitations on it leads him to not believe that it's even a Game Engine and that it's instead just a "Game Maker."
Xirre's got it right, BYOND is very strict is some aspects, but in other ways it's also a platform that makes some parts very easy to deal with.

Going from scratch to something you can move around on screen is much easier with BYOND from what I've seen. The learning curve is relatively shallow and it makes for a great introductory language.

That's just my opinion on it though.
Well I really like the BYOND's Dream Maker gaming engine. I can do so much with it. I didn't like other gaming engines.
DM is a good language to start on but once you get it rolling to market yourself you'll need other languages. I'm going to grad school where C, C++, and Java are required. Will probably need to learn Fortran. Going into industry, I may need to pick up other languages. DM is a hobbyist language, and it is incredibly powerful and does a lot of things that you'd want it to do when you start programming.

I think languages come down to preference. Unity, DM, Java, all of these can make games. Heck AdventureQuest was written in HTML to begin with. All that matters is that you're happy with what you get. At least for hobbyist development.
Fortran wat.

Unless you are fancying a job in the banking sector, I'd say you're pretty fine not to learn Fortran.
I'm going into nonlinear dynamics. My professor tells me he has to break fortran out every now and again in his research and he studies the same thing. Though the grad school programs I'm looking at now deal with nonlinear flow of plasmas.
Ahhhh ... mathematic academia, where your choices of language are MATLAB or languages concocted in the 70's.