ID:1593885

How do you go about making a text-based game? I want to make one. How should it look? What should be the graphics on DM?
It depends on what you mean by text-based game. Do you mean a game that uses text glyphs (such as NetHack) in place of sprites? Do you mean a game that has no sort of viewport at all, and consists entirely of messages (such as Zork). Or do you mean something else entirely?

If you mean the former: using text glyphs would be as simple as just using sprites that represent characters of text rather than using, well, normal sprites. I'd recommend using this approach for BYOND over utilizing the built-in text mode, since that mode hasn't had any updates in years and has a serious lack of features.

If you mean the latter: a text-based game could be very simple, or very complex depending on how you're accepting input for the game play. If you're making something like Zork (a text adventure), then you're going to need a parser to accept and understand commands like "eat apple" or "use sword on goblin."
Hey I'm not sure which kind of text-based game I want and what you're talking about. I think the latter. I want the game mostly or completely text. It will be a tycoon(or business simulation) game. What is a parser? I need something like text messages showing progress and Stat() proc tab showing progress.
In response to TheDarkChakra
A parser would take a command inputted by the player, and figure out what to do with it. Such as "eat apple," it would discern that "eat" is a command/verb and that "apple" is an object/noun. Then it'd call (in DM, for example) src.Eat(reference_to_the_apple_object).

I'm not sure as to how your proposed game idea works, so I couldn't say for sure whether or not you'd need a parser.
In response to LordAndrew
I think I'm confused. Let me try to explain what I want. I want to create a game mostly or all text. I want you to build something strategically and win fans and money becoming a top businessman. You will get feedback via text. There will be events happening. Time will go by. You will build points and upgrade your technology. I don't want to say more about the game than the general idea because I am afraid someone will steal my idea but it is a tycoon game.
Pretty hard to steal that idea, it's only been done to death already. There's already a few games like it on BYOND.

Not to say text tycoons aren't fun, they really are. They're also easy to make which makes them great projects.

I would make the suggestion of using a round based design. The idea would be that a round lasts a certain amount of time and is followed by a rest period where you can make upgrades and change your business.

So you start the game, design your basic business. You start the round, it lasts 30 seconds and gives you information the whole time on what has happened like how many units you're selling. At the end you hopefully made a profit that round which you can use in the rest period.

I'd advise an interface with buttons rather than commands or statpanels.

Those are just my thoughts on this, take or leave any of it.
I've been reading your posts about this tycoon game, and you're pretty much remaking "GameDev Tycoon" but for like, movies.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
Are you stalking me? Yeah I got an inspiration from Game Dev Tycoon but I want to create my own game. There are many tycoon games out there actually. I wanted to create my own.
Yes I am stalking you. I was just checking out your social media before I came here. I have became so obsessed I have my own dedicated TDC feed on my custom start page.
@TheDarkChakra DO I have to repeat myself over and over..

How do you go about making a text-based game?

First you should learn DM.

I want to make one.

Good idea.

How should it look?

You're starting to get annoying, seriously do you not have any ideas of your own?

What should be the graphics on DM?

It's a text game right? why do you need graphics...

<insert rage here>
Thinking about text games, the BYOND port of Text City Simulator has been released almost 10 years ago. I might do something special, but not sure when yet. :P