ID:159631

i need a mini map that is hidden until you see certain things, like the map is written as you explore, until you have seen an object it should just appear as a black spot on the mini map, but i have no idea how to do this or if it is even possible to do.

so if anyone has any ideas for this please feel free to share.
You mean, Fog of War?
In response to Kaiochao
I do believe he said 'mini map'.
In response to AJX
You haven't played games like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft have you? Fog of War is on the mini map as well >_>
In response to Spunky_Girl
it needs to be a mini map that is all black at first and gradually reveals the entire map, preferably with a fog of war effect, much like an RTS mini map.

The fog of war feature isnt crucial, just the fact that the map is hidden until you discover parts of the world, like playing warcraft, you cant see the whole map to start with, only the small area you started on, and as you explore that part of the map stays available, and it is not for an RTS game its for a Survival eske game, where you are required to explore the map for resources and the like.
I actually spend most of my spare time playing DotA on WC3. And I was simply pointing out that the name of this topic is A Mini Map so one can infer that he was asking for that purpose.
In response to AJX
He is. He's asking how to put fog of war into his mini map. Does the title say that explicitly? No. But through reading his post, like all should do, you'll discover what he's really talking about.
This is somewhere I would *start* looking:
http://www.byond.com/developer/Crispy/Mapper
http://www.byond.com/developer/Zaltron/MiniMapGenerator

The first creates mini maps in your browser, the second displays them over your screen. To be able to modify them to only show explored areas would be slightly difficult. I have been trying to work my head around a way to handle it, but without annoyingly large lists I can't seem to think of one. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know, but for the time being those two should perhaps give you someplace to start.

And Spunky:

Uh... Call me crazy, but I believe YOU are the one who isn't reading MY posts. Not that us bickering is helping him find a solution, but here is my point:

Robertbanks2 wrote:
i need a mini map that is hidden until you see certain things, like the map is written as you explore, until you have seen an object it should just appear as a black spot on the mini map, but i have no idea how to do this or if it is even possible to do.

it needs to be a mini map that is all black at first and gradually reveals the entire map, preferably with a fog of war effect, much like an RTS mini map.

You are saying he is talking about fog of war on the mini map, I'm saying he is asking for a shrouded mini map that *may* have the feature that it does not update explored areas until you explore it a second time. Kaio's post was for fog of war that applied ONLY to the physical map where your character resides, that is why I pointed out that he was talking about a mini map... You should probably take your own advice and read the posts before you say something about it.
In response to AJX
thanks for the help, in the end the maps havent really been worked on yet, seeing as there are more important issues at hand with the game itself (its not quite finished yet), however, i may implement a minimap if the map gets any larger (right now its 200x200, and soon to be 500x500) or possibly just put one on the game's forum, or possibly far in the future make it a subscriber/BYOND member only feature that comes up in the hub

i may get back to the shroud effect at some point but as i pointed out in my only other signigicant forum post (about web host saving) im not the greatest programmer that ever lived, so it may just be an idea that fades away into nothingness, or maybe i will bug some people about it until one of them tries it xD

**shortly after posting this i had an idea smack me in the face while reading the skin reference, and i thought, why not make an image of the map and then cut it into the size of the cells of a grid in a custom skin, then check in Move() to see if the player was in a certain x,y block and if they already had the image, if they dont put it in the corresponding cell, then continue the Move() proc, and save the cell variables into the character and when they log back in, they still have their map, IMO that would most likely be the easiest, least complicated way of accomplishing the task at hand, and it would probably work fairly well