ID:1597930
 
BYOND Version:506
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Applies to:Dream Maker
Status: Open

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Renaming any BYOND file(.dm , .dmm , .dmi , .dmf , .dms) within DM , while changing capitalization will not rename the file.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1) Make a new file (Or just use existing one)
2) Try to rename it (Same characters, just different capitalization)
3) Fail

EXAMPLE:
1) Create a file named "Code.dm"
2) Try to rename it to something like CODE/code/CoDE etc
3) Fail

Expected Results:
For the file to be renamed accordingly.
Actual Results:
The file name remains the same
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time
In other games?
N/A
In other user accounts?
N/A
On other computers?
Not sure
When does the problem NOT occur?
It occurs every time

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
I don't know exactly when this stopped working but I tested it with version 501.1215 and the problem remained.

Workarounds:
1) Rename the file to something irrelevant
2) Rename it yet again to what you were trying to initially
Did you hit Refresh?
Yes. Doesn't work
this is probably due to how Windows ignores capitalization in file paths and names. so, when BYOND compares the new name vs the old name, it sees no difference. since there is no difference, it doesn't do any extra proccessing in terms of changing the names.

they can probably use a comparison that doesnt disregard case...but why.
I'm sure we can fix that but this is pretty low priority.
I found this too, to confirm.

One possible fix:

Click File
Choose Open Project Folder
Rename your files using the file explorer

It's never been a major issue for me so I've never reported it.
When you rename a file in the file tree inside Dream Maker, if you rename it to only change a capital letter, the change isn't applied.

Ex: If I have "player.dm" and want to rename it to "Player.dm", it won't make the change, instead I have to rename it to a different string, then back with the capital.