ID:1601827

I wanted to create a tycoon(or business simulation or strategy) game about you being a movie director trying to get to the top. I wanted you to choose the types of movies you want and how to create them. So the types of movies could be drama, action, romance etc... and the direction would be special effects, animation, fighting etc... So I made a little something but its not fun. I included very basic programming in there. How can I make such a game fun?
In my experience, of the various styles of tycoon games, they can be boiled down to two basic styles, turned based tycoons (Think of Lemonade Tycoon, Fairy Godmother Tycoon, Coffee Tycoon), and real-time tycoons (Think of Omega Mall, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Transportation Tycoon).

In both styles, what I have found leads me to enjoy tycoon games is the content, specially, the unlockable content. What I mean by this is that most tycoons offer progression in two ways (and usually both ways). The first being various levels (think of Lemonade Tycoon, where one advances from a small suburb lemonade stand, to a large city, and a few in between, after earning enough money.). The second being advancements, where one earns new equipment or tools to help improve ones tycoon though time constraints, statistic milestones reached, etc. (Think of new rides in Rollercoaster Tycoon, or new coffee beans in Coffee Tycoon). I find that while the first form of progression holds me for a bit, the second form of progression is what really lures me to continue playing, in the sense that I will usually play a tycoon game a bit after I have unlocked all of the advancements, but I usually won't stick around to complete all of the levels (I have rarely completed any tycoon game).

In my own attempt to create a tycoon game, I found that one important aspect that I failed to realize prior to my attempt is that tycoons benefit highly (And possibly require) a visible form of movement (Think of people and amusement rides moving in Rollercoaster Tycoon, Customers walking to the shop in Fairy Godmother Tycoon). From the players perspective (Well, mine at least), its enjoyable to sit back and watch "things happen" as a result of their decisions, and is one of the lures of a Tycoon game. Its a gage, that the more movement that happens on the screen, the better the player is doing. Unfortunately in my case, I choose to tycoon a solar power company which provides power to buildings...which provided little opportunity for the sporadic, rapid, and visually appealing movement which I now consider to be an important aspect of tycoon games.

As far as tycoon development goes, turned based tycoon games really boil down to big number crunchers where the player tosses in some numbers, the game applies some foreseen statistics (Think weather forecasts in Lemonade Tycoon and Fairy Godmother Tycoon), and a bit (Not a lot) of randomness, to produce the underlying results of the turn. Its not always difficult to create a number cruncher, but usually, its not real fun to play with a number cruncher either. This is where the content comes in, The content (Levels, advancements, achievements) is what make tycoon games worth playing. Many tycoons will toss in a story, and that makes for a great addition as well, but because its difficult to determine if a tycoon prototype is fun until a good content base is established, it makes it difficult to continue development to get it to the "maybe-its-fun" stage (And it can be a real killer after going though the works and deciding its still not fun).

In short, in order to find out if your tycoon game will be fun, you'll need a good amount of playable content, which includes levels and advancements (Bigger theaters, better cameras, new actors, more advertisements, popcorn, drinks, etc). I recommend adding some form of movement to your game as well, whether its actors on the stage, customers going into a theater, or whatever you may have in mind. A brief story wouldn't hurt, but don't dedicate alot of time to the story, most players don't play tycoons for the story. You may want to consider random events as well, such as popularity charts to tell the player which movies people are likely to see (For instance, in December, movie-goers may favor family movies for Christmas), but nothing should ever be a surefire hit.

Good luck!