ID:1604643

Does anyone know any online school for game development degrees such as game design, game graphics art and game programming?
Digipen has -some- online courses, but I think they're part of a youth program.

I also think that if you decide to take the pitfall that is "game design degree", that Digipen is one of the few schools to actually aim for.

Really, never go for such a degree such as "Game Design", I think they're right up there with a degree in Arts and English.

Game programming makes little sense too, you don't learn to program games, like that isn't as far as you take it. You learn to program, you learn your CS, and then you apply it to make a game.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
Why not go for game design and game programming degrees? By the way this is for me. Right now I am studying CIS(Computer Information Systems) so maybe that will help me with game software development or maybe not. Afterwards maybe I will go to a game development school.
In response to TheDarkChakra
A degree in some form of programming/mathematics (Computer Science, Software Engineering, etc) or art (though you could just have a really good portfolio for this part) is going to serve you far better than a general "game design" degree. As it stands, a degree in game design is not worth it if you're hoping to break into the industry. Studios are looking for practical skill and experience over "well I have some ideas and a degree to back them up..."
In response to LordAndrew
What about a degree in CIS, what will that get me? Also what do you think about taking one course in game design at this college I want to transfer to: Brooklyn college here in Brooklyn NY? Here is the course webpage of the college: http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/courses/ ShowCourse.do?redirect=/acad/ course_info.jsp&dsc=CISC.&crs_num=3665&div=U
Why not go for game design and game programming degrees?

TL;DR: Nobody will take you seriously, not even your Alma Mater.
In response to Ter13
Then what degree will take me seriously?
A PhD in a science.

(Srsly, though, avoid game design. Go for Computer Science. Avoid any school that offers any kind of game design course as well.)
Hmm interesting... so would you suggest a similar treatment could be expected when talking about a Software Engineering titled course when compared to "Computer Science"? or would you say that is regarded on a more serious/same-ish level to that.

I have a decision to make in how to title myself during my last year you see, and i was thinking somewhat to finally settle on SE as a title (i can have it as CS even with the same modules though... 'lol' >.>), especially since that is mainly the particular area i expect myself to be involved with post graduation 'career'-wise if anything.

I guess i should mention though that this is for someone currently living in the UK, so i guess the situations or perceptions of each course in relation to eachother might be slightly different to what you'd experience in the US?
There's no discernable difference within the workplace in the UK, for Software Engineering vs Computer Science.

It's usually Information Technology vs Computer Science where you start to get problems entering graduate programmer roles for smaller companies. Games Development courses have the same problem as Information Technology courses, they're seen as softer, with less of a tangible skills focus or a less detailed level of teaching.

My degree is MEng Software Engineering. No-one bothered to ask anything about my degree, after I secured my first job, and during the interview for said job the discussion was mostly "Are you on course for a 2:1?".
In response to Turboskill
I attend UC Berkeley studying Computer Science and we have a course entitled "Software Engineering." It's generally looked at as a course to teach you how startups work, and you do a project that goes out to production for a semi-local startup (anything in the Bay Area will be considered local). It's really exceptional to get some practical, hands-on skills, but at the end of the day I've been really more appreciative of deeper-level courses I've taken (and I took compilers simply because of BYOND ;)).

Often however, I don't think there is much significant difference between CS and Software Engineering. I will say though, most companies - at least regarding interns - are pretty snobby and if you don't have the prestige behind your college name, it's a lot harder to get accepted anywhere for your first job. After that, it seems to get a bit easier.

Note: I am only speaking from experience for most Silicon Valley companies. Game companies that are pretty major (Blizzard, Square, Bethesda, etc.) seem to also follow a similar approach, but indie companies I've heard are a bit more lax on prestige factor. Also, I want to stress that this is really only from an intern and first-hire perspective.

Extra Note: Wow. I clearly didn't get into Berkeley for my superb writing skills.
We have such a dirth of good comp sci / software engineering graduates in the UK, that provided you are not pants on head retarded, securing your first industrial job should be straight-forward. I suppose I should note that I provide technical input into graduate recruitment for my team, and we spend about a year trying to fill graduate positions, and it's largely just due to crap candidates.
College dropout for life. Didn't even make it past general education before I began to be more open about not liking to attend school.
Ah, ok good. I was somewhat hoping to see you chip in on this too Stephen, since you've mentioned before you worked/lived in the uk... so yeah, thanks for the input :D.

I likely might have still settled on SE as my course title even if there was a real difference in the perception of it as opposed to CS, but this makes the decision sound also on that aspect, which is nice.

- just noticed the other reply to my question i guess, so thanks also (there was only Stephen's comment to reply to at the time as this had been loaded since earlier, have now been making my way through the crowd of tabs you see... as is the way =D)