ID:1615930

(See the best response by FKI.)
So, the Guides and Tutorials for up-and-coming BYOND Developers is, you know, explanatory and whatnot. There are walls and walls of text that give you examples of text (out of sequence), and tell you that there are codes, icons, and music files, and that 'mobs' are objects in the world, from Characters, to Avatars, to Turfs, etc.

Well, folks, I'm not good at reading long blocks of text. After a few paragraphs, and out-of-sequence samples of Code, the whole begins looking as though it's written in Elven.

And I can't read Elven.

I am a Kinesthetic learner first and foremost, which means that I prefer to learn things hands-on. Now, there is a vast number of BYOND Communities, both public and 'Underground', that let you get Source Code for some of BYOND's leading games (as the vast number of rips/etc may indicate).

However, I don't want to learn how to rip a game.... I want to learn how to build games.

When I see a concept that is truly good, but it's run by an iron-fisted tyrant, or GM'd by people who use their GM powers for their own selfish gain, I want the power to go "You know what? I don't have to stand for this." and go make something better. Or, if I find a game that's run by a kind, gentle soul and his/her GMs are fair, patient and good listeners, I want to be able to step up and go "Hey, instead of sending a BUG Report, I'd like to contribute to this game by helping out".

You see? A fair balance of replacing the bad, and encouraging the good. I mean, who hasn't played a BYOND RPG, and noticed something they'd have done differently?

So, the tl;dr ("Too Long, Didn't Read", as coined by A.D.D. Gamers worldwide) of my post is:

I'm someone who learns by doing. Is there kind of BYOND Dev tutorials, or guidance from my fellow Devs, I can use that allows me to learn hands-on, instead of from the materials that currently exist but without the ability to listen/interact/etc with my lesson?
And please, none of THIS.

I'm familiar with where those links are, and I'm looking for more personalized responses. :)
Uhhh, the guide actually has like mini-assignments littered throughout the whole thing. It has code and paragraphs explaining how the code works. If your thing is learn by doing, how is that not what you need?
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Uhhh, the guide actually has like mini-assignments littered throughout the whole thing. It has code and paragraphs explaining how the code works. If your thing is learn by doing, how is that not what you need?

If it was, why would I be here?

I thought I made it clear, I'm not some fly-by-night errant poster who hasn't bothered going through the Guide or Tutorials. I've gotten about as far as it takes to change the icons in the Sample Game (with the maze & cheeze), and activate Chat features, and I got stuck.

I know I'd whiz through this if I had the tutoring I'm requesting.
Best response
What you want to do then, is use this forum during times you are stuck. There is a nice handful of people here who are willing to help you (including myself) given we are able to.

This forum can serve as your teacher or mentor in many ways, as it has (and still does) for many of us, it's just about how you use it.

I share your sentiment in wanting to be personally taught, but unfortunately it's not always that simple because life isn't that simple. So it's up to us as individuals to be proactive and make due with the resources we do have. For example, I post on this forum and help others in need when and where I can (like now, for instance).

In other words, the best hands-on experience is already at your disposal.