ID:161666

I've seen it done in the past, and in my ever continuing search for BYOND/linux compatibility, I'm going to make a small compromise and attempt to connect to BYOND chat utilities via telnet.
What exactly is your question? How can a developer make it possible for people to connect to his game via telnet, or how can a player connect to a game via telnet?

Anyway, I'll answer both since it'll explain it in general.
For a BYOND game to support telnet, the developer needs to include and override an undocumented built-in proc which is client/Command(). After that the game supports telnet, however you cannot use verbs from telnet; the commands you enter go to the Command() proc and must be parsed there by the developer.
client/Command(cmd)
if(findtext(cmd,"say ")==1) //if the command begins in "say "
if(length(cmd) > 4) //if the command is long enough to have a message
src.Say(copytext(cmd,5)) //manually call the Say() verb\
(you'll probably need src.mob.Say() though)

So not all BYOND games support telnet; you need to do special things to account for telnet in your game.
And what your question seemed to be, though it's kind of not related to BYOND itself - for a player to connect to a game that supports telnet via it, he needs to... open up telnet, and connect to the BYOND server's address and port. I can get more specific if need be.
Grab your telnet client and point it's address to the IP address and port number of the server you want to connect to.

Chatters' address is telnet:\\70.59.109.124:6030. You should enter the IP address and port from that link into your telnet client. Check the telnet client's help if you're unsure how to connect to a server from your particular telnet client.

Oh, and if Chatters asks for a password, it's "telnet" without the quotes. Not sure if I have one set for The Lounge or not.

Also, not all games support telnet. As Kaioken pointed out, the game developer has to define client/Command() in order to allow telnet access to the server. Chatters does this, as do a few other games. You might have to direct other game developers to this thread if you are unable to connect, so they can add telnet access to their game.