ID:161733

The idea of uploading, hosting and joining games has been killing me over the past few weeks. Well, I eventually uploaded it and hosted it, and i'm nearly there, but when someone clicks 'join' on my hosted game, the options and messages window says:
connecting....failed
So, am I (yet again) missing something?
That sounds to me like a hosting issue. I don't know about everybody else, but I've seen that alot when you don't have the correct ports open on your router. I'm not sure if there is a guide somewhere on here on how to do it correctly, but I would look into a guide on how to open ports on your router, if you have one, if not, than it's most likely a firewall. However, you said you uploaded it, that sounds like you're trying to use a hosting service... If that's true, they should have that covered, I would hope. Either way look into ports on routers and firewalls.
In response to ChibiGoku04
Thanks, I didn't understand that but my dad did! He said, do you have any idea what ports BYOND needs to be open?
In response to Adam753
There should be an option for you to set the port on the firewall/router/etc. Then you should be able to set the same port number via the BYOND pager.
In response to FLameslash
i know about the port options in the firewall. from what i understand, byond will need some of these ports to be 'open' for anything to work. I just need to know which ones! (I think! I don't know!)
the byond pager, ah. are you saying... people who join my game... have to have the same settings as me? I'm not sure what pyond pager is, exactly. how could i use it like that?

(\ /) i'm
(x.x) so
(><) confused!
In response to Adam753
When you host a game, there should be a little button at the bottom that says "Host..." In the window that pops up should be some settings. One of these settings should be "Port." Whatever port you put in that text box is what port you need to have open. That's the way it was in BYOND 3 and 3.5, I think. I assume it's almost the same in 4. If you need further help, feel free to ask. By the way, that should be the only port you need open to host BYOND games. Just make sure you don't leave it 0, as that assigns you a port automatically. You don't want that.
it didn't work :(
interestingly, it only happens with certain people- my brother and two of my friends, and some other people i don't know. with other people, it works just as it should. It's almost as though my computer doesn't like certain other computers.
In response to Adam753
So what you're saying is that some people can join, but some can't? That's odd. What port are you using? If you can't get it to work, I will gladly assist you further when I get a chance too. Right now I'm at work, and this *isn't* happening. :P
That's right. I always use port 4285, which I have set as an 'exception' in my firewall. But I get the same results: When I try to join their games, the options and messages box says "Connecting... [and then slowly writes a lot of dots] ...failed", as though my connection has timed out.
In response to Adam753
The hosting computer (your bro's or whatever) is the computer you need to forward (or "open") the port on; you mostly don't need to mess with anything specifically port-related when you're connecting and not hosting.

Most probably, you can connect to random people from the internet because those people are hosting and they correctly forward the ports on their machine. But your brother (or whoever) probably doesn't, so nobody can connect.