ID:161796

As long as i've been here annoying everyone over the answers to simple questions, I have never uploaded anything to the BYOND website. now at last I'm going to release a nearly-complete game for me and my friends to test for bugs- but i'm not sure how! I've done the package files part, and it says it's built a .zip file. But then I go to add a new game and i'm not sure what to enter for Forum URL, Info URL, or Download URL. Thanks a mill.. :o)
Actually i've 'uploaded' the .zip file, but when I click download and run your own game, it just takes me to that web page in a new tab. What did I do wrong!?
In response to Adam753
Adam753 wrote:
Actually i've 'uploaded' the .zip file, but when I click download and run your own game, it just takes me to that web page in a new tab. What did I do wrong!?

Probably the place you uploaded it to doesn't like people hot-linking from BYOND.com?

Typically the only ways you can have a remote download from the hub are either if you have file space at BYOND.com via a membership or if you own your own server space somewhere so there's no one to complain about where the files are downloaded from.

If you don't have either of those, and you can't get another member to upload your game for your, your best bet may be to find some free web space somewhere that will host your file for you, then build a website on that web space and link people to the website from the hub.
In response to Foomer
I see what you mean, it's because it can't access a place on my computer. When you say 'my own web space' or 'server space'... Are you saying, if I uploaded it to MY website, and then put the that as the URL- wait- hmm. I think I could upload it to my own website but how would I go about making BYOND.com link to that?
On the other hand, am I barking up the wrong tree completely here??
In response to Adam753
Adam753 wrote:
I see what you mean, it's because it can't access a place on my computer. When you say 'my own web space' or 'server space'... Are you saying, if I uploaded it to MY website, and then put the that as the URL- wait- hmm. I think I could upload it to my own website but how would I go about making BYOND.com link to that?
On the other hand, am I barking up the wrong tree completely here??

If you have your own web space where you can upload the file, just link to the file once its uploaded from your game's hub entry. Assuming your host allows hot-linking.
In response to Foomer
well, call me slower than a dead turtle with no legs; but i'm having trouble with this.
Let's say I own a website called www.website.com , and on that website is the url for the .zip file in My Documents (Which I think makes it possible for others to access it). I then change the 'Download URL' to http://www.website.com/ . Would that work?
yay i did it! thanks!