Sword Art Online

by Kboy33
Sword Art Online
Sword Art Online! Play to the death!
ID:1621963

Keywords: popcorn
Basically, when I can access my computer, I'm looking at more demos of systems (e.g a Turf Picker system I just discovered), pixel art tutorials (seeing as my art isn't the best), and ideas.

In this way, I hope to make SAO a lot funner. If you feel like you want to help in any way, shape or form, feel free to post open source, non-used art down below. I'd like to review it, then add it to the game if push comes to shove. My other project is pretty much done (as in real close to being finished) though in my current situation I cannot access it's source files. Therefore I'll be working on SAO more until I can retrieve my source.

Other than that, I'm really hoping that I can make SAO look banging. The movement, quests, story, PvP, RP, all of it. I also apologize for taking 2 years to get a move on, and having to set the release back by quite a lot. And so, I will probably recreate the forums on another site where more news will be posted.

Apart from that, I'll post what I've done when I've done it.

Toodles.
An update of what might be the new tiles:

New SAOMMO Tiles
cant wait
In response to DeMazzter
Tyvm!
Wow did you make those?
In response to Ortewix
This is the part where I lie and say "Yep, all me."

I can icon buildings and pretty much most things, but when it comes to turfs, I'm helpless :c Unlike you, Don.
This is normally where I'd jump in and start throwing grass and dirt at your face, since making turf/terrain is my favourite thing to do. <.> My free time consists of taking a shower, and drying off (currently at this step), then going to work to repeat the cycle tomorrow when I get home xD
You can grab some lovely Open GL works online, though. Just be sure to check the license on them - some will require attributions. spritersresource (mreh), opengameart(dot)org (great library), and several blogs have postings for open sourced work that's free to use and abuse.
In response to RhythmicNinja
I actually used OGA for these LPC turfs xD.

Are you able to make turfs?
I am. I wouldn't count on me right now, though. I'd love to dive back into Byond and help out, but it may be a few weeks before I have that sort of time.
Keep with open-source for now, so that you can focus on your coding. Use stick figures and solid colours if you have to. Graphics are not a thing to be focused on without a backbone.
Not sure if the community here has changed much, but there still should be others that like to pop into games in active development, and give out stuff.
Have any updates for what you've been working on? Other than making things pretty? lol
RhythmicNinja wrote:
Have any updates for what you've been working on? Other than making things pretty? lol

Not currently. I'm in a thinking stage at the moment: what I need to add in and work on. Right now it's about how I will solve the "Now I'm in the game what do I do" issue that new players had in the previous version.
Rework your tute, the pop-up guide on the screen. Have new players spawn in a separate instance, with an NPC guide that will explain the controls for movement and basic attacks in a dialog window. Spawn weaker boars/slimes (two to three hits to kill, for the tute only). Go over blocking, running, basic skills, item use, and that sort of jazz.
You can either have it for each player, or chunk them all into the same room. Either let it end for them at level 2, or whenever they finish a certain task. Or, let it give no experience, so that no one stays in there and hoards crap.
For things like crafting and what nots, they can learn that from an NPC in the main towns through the "Go make me some of this crap" quests.
Knowing where things are was also a problem for people - and the chat being restricted to local area only. Global chat would come in handy for being able to help newer players get to where they need to go.
Aside from a tute, though, having them run out into the world to kill things is a good start. But, dying, or having to run back and forth to kill the starting monster isn't fun for many people. Instead of boars, maybe some chickens, or something. Since no one starts with any gear, and punching a boar in the face would get you killed in all aspects of real life lol
Well, that helped a lot!

Please keep suggestions coming. It makes sense to not allow people to gain EXP from killing the tut mobs so that they don't get OP. I'll have to definitely find/make a party system since I'll really promote synergy throughout the game.

Timed quests are also something I will try to add in. A poor example of one is a quest in which you'd have to put out a fire before a building was fully burned down or something of the likes. In this was you can escape from the constant sword handling.
Oh, I like the sound of that quest! Can you have trigger events, caused by players? In keeping with your flaming building/area, it can be set on fire by a player. Like, out in the field, there could be a hut/vault/dungeon entrance/treasures, and something could go wrong (booby trap?), which sets the whole thing ablaze. Bam. Player event - put out the fire with water and/or water spells/skills (or another thing), in order to get the goodies inside (money, maybe a weapon/armor thingy that's not rare, but better than "uncommon.").
Make sure for the party system that full experience share isn't a thing. No one wants to promote leeching. But, have some that trades over. 100% to the player that kills, 25-50% for other party members (or even less, outside of an event or non-boss/mini-boss).
Crafting is a big thing for me, and a lot of other players. Progression should be an option for people that don't want to farm/grind, or do battle in general. Merchants should be able to get through the floors (not by killing, or by skipping, maybe following a party through a boss room (which could maybe remain open for 5-10 minutes, before it closes for the next boss respawn, an hour or half hour later) or by some other means) in order to peddle their wares, and collect higher grades of minerals/components.
In your early access, there were crude crafting thingies.
But, also, the way things pop up - it's not that appealing to a lot of people (I don't mind. Imaginations exist for a reason). The dialog/event pop up areas could be textured/colourized, maybe add a tiny icon of the product/item in. Eye-candy. But, those sorts of bits can wait until way later.
If your rig can handle it, and your code isn't bloated, player homes are always nice. Useless, but nice. I never got to play around with the system that you were using before, though. We could buy homes, but nothing else to do with them at the time. lol
If you want to promote strategy/cooperation in teams, certain strong/hard attack could have a knockback effect (not literally - closer to a flinch) that would give them a split second of invulnerability, so that a gang of players couldn't just spam an attack on a poor monster. It'd create openings to it to fight back, and cause people to waste energy/stamina on poorly timed hits.

I wasn't really into the class system you had in place (It didn't do anything at the time, but the idea of one in general). Characters should/could start off as an open template - go through training for a specialization (class), which would give more quests/things for people to do. Everyone can start as a Wayfarer/Adventurer, and then after some training, have a tier option unlock. Like, going into some of the classes that you have, which would practically just alter the stat gains. Power builds, speed, defense, intelligence, or what nots. Weapon types should probably be slightly more restricted, too. You wouldn't expect a duel-wielder to grab a large axe and start busting ass all over the place.
Mostly ranting. Just got home from work. Tired. Ranting. xD
I'd love to have players trigger quests, so I'll look into that (albeit they'd be pre-coded quests). The SAO crafting system was very concise, and not much was seen of it, however I'll make it so that you don't just have to kill monsters/spam quest to level. I will make EXP gains from parties low, unless you're pretty close the the source of the EXP.

The housing system would have been much more appealing if this was a VMMORPG. I mean, you could touch, smell, see, hear and taste in SAO. In this game, not so much, however it'd be nice if I could have some input on what houses could do; thus making them appealing.

Monsters will have different attitudes, so it would be wise for people to team up. If anything, I'd try making some mobs flock so that they don't get ganked too easily.

The class system I had in at the time seemed a good idea then, but not so much now. I will have to add some sort of stat cap so that there aren't beast tamers who are used to wielding daggers suddenly busting out a zanbato.

Even though everyone wants to be a Kirito, there will be player dependance. In order to get food, you will have to find chefs since the NPC chefs will run out of stock quickly. In order to make food you have to get the ingredients from a farmer. In order to sow seeds to create the ingredients, you'll have to get seeds from cheeky mobs which for whatever reason have seeds on their body. However, you can't kill monsters on an empty stomach - back to the chef.

I like your point on the cooking bit.
Being a Kirito is mreh. No idea why it appeals to people lol I'd rather be a blacksmith.
On the housing points, you could have it as the only storage system in the game (aside from an inventory/bag), instead of using a "bank/vault" NPC. A small pet that roams around the room (any sort of animal - fast and easy to make), but doesn't really do anything. Visual appeal. Usable appliances. Using beds to recover health, stamina, fatigue (or whatever else), and what nots. Maybe have a boost for displaying certain items in your home (aesthetic drops from boss kills?)
Monsters with attitude. Badassery. lol
I like how all of that is sounding.
But, it's a lot of crap to code in with a one-man team.
Mm. Those incentives seem pretty viable, and I could build upon them later. Perhaps when you log out, if you're outside a house, you may have a chance of being robbed or something (Cor only). I don't know, but something light but repulsive.

A bank/vault NPC may actually be a thing, as whilst I'm writing this, I just had an idea about bank robberies etc. Therefore rather than putting your cash into a vault in which it may be stolen, you'd put it in your house instead.

I believe I can program most of it. If I hit a roadblock, I'll get others to help me leap over it.
Robbing banks? I'm loving the sound of that. Gonna have a GTA-SAO mashup before long xD
I'd offer to help, but my coding skills in BDM are.. nearly non-existent lol
Both of those sound pretty spiffy so far.
Can't wait to start shanking hookers.
I'll be a boar pimp and have my boars give people boar jo-

But yeah!
Best. Idea. Ever.
So many bloody nuts.
Page: 1 2