I'm digging how this is going.
i put small money and medium time to beyond
Very little, if any(right now anyways). Though it's not because of lack of trying over my years here.

If BYOND went under right now, it would really suck but I wouldn't be able to say that I didn't see it coming. I love the software and what's possible through it, and I love some of the community which would be dearly missed. I've made a lot of friends here who I would consider some of my closest and most trusted friends.
Over the course of 7 to 8 years, I haven't done much. I've only finished 1 major project and multiple small projects. Would I lose anything at this point if BYOND were to go bye-bye? Nope. Not a single thing. I've already moved on to other programming languages to challenge myself a bit more and to meet some new people. Everything has been going great so far.

Would I lose something if I were the same as I was a year ago? Yes. I'd be deeply upset that I would probably no longer be able to share my work in the BYOND community. I actually enjoy talking on the forums with everyone. However, I can do without talking on the forums at this point. I'll get over not being able to come back here within about.. I don't know.. a day to a month. I already have most people on Skype or Steam. So, no worries there.

If BYOND were to go away now, yeah, I'd probably feel some pain that I wouldn't be able to post stupid stuff on the forums for some laughs with people or to see the other stupid stuff people post on here. I wouldn't be able to ask for assistance with some programming from some of you geniuses out there. But, hey... There are other forums out there. I'll eventually get over BYOND and just move on, as was stated before.

I don't have any liabilities with BYOND. Nothing's going to hurt me. Shell Server may be rendered useless. But, it's not a source of income in the slightest. Never will be. Never was meant to be.

Shell Server may still be able to run without BYOND. But, it wouldn't really be found. And actually.. It could be used as a hub if BYOND were to go down. It already has somewhat of a feature like that within it.

Regardless, I'd have to cancel the subscriptions of all users on it if such a thing were to happen and give them a 30 day notice to find another service. As for the free users, they'd have to get the boot. It doesn't make sense to support a dead community. But, BYOND's not dead. So, such a thing doesn't need to be done.

Have I contributed anything? Nope. Not in my eyes, at least. Probably in some other people's eyes. I have tried to contribute. I help some new programmers understand simple things and how to improve efficiency. I try to raise awareness of BYOND as a whole. But, nothing major has been done on my part. I've moved on, partially.
I don't particularly like this topic. It gives off a negative vibe, because the hypothetical "what-if" this started with now has the feeling of an inevitable "when". In one way or another, each of us will have an empty void in our lives where BYOND once was should it actually shut down. Whether each of us admits it or not, we'll still "feel" something.

But still, where's the optimism in all of this? BYOND as a company may not be successful, but BYOND as an engine still has a great deal of ability and potential. It may not match up to Unity or similar engine/framework, but it was never intended to and still is not. For what BYOND provides as it stands, you'd be hard pressed to find anything to provide the same.

Multi-player, tile based worlds are what BYOND does best. Trying to recreate something that heavily requires this model (such as NEStalgia or SS13, the usual examples) would be very time-consuming at best. Otherwise quite difficult, even for those with a lot of programming experience (see the majority of the discussions of remaking SS13, such as those for Baystation 12).

Without digressing from the main topic too much, I don't have too much committed into BYOND right now. I have not released a game, though I have worked on a few existing ones. I have not donated to BYOND aside from two memberships. I usually don't even help in the forums, aside from poking my nose in here and there. However, I remain optimistic in BYOND, and I support Tom and Lummox in anticipation of what they do next. I'm very excited about what more improvements may come to BYOND, even if it's not at as quick as I'd like it to be.

(Thank you, Tom and Lummox. ^.^)
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I hope that our upcoming update keeps some of you oldbies on board, and brings in a new generation of people to our community!

HTML5?!?!?!?
I totally thought this said "How much commitment have Yut Put into Byond?"
Half of a burnt penny. But I do love BYOND I just keep coming back.
I have spent years playing around with byond, I never seem to find a better tool to make games with as much flexibility and I like the community.

I'm even using it to make my game Immortal Dream and funding it with kickstarter :) (Hope to pass the love onto byond should it make millions lol)

my twitter showing some art for the game:
www.twitter.com/bloodocean7

In response to Akto
Akto wrote:
I totally thought this said "How much commitment have Yut Put into Byond?"

An Epic amount. Heh, heh heh.
*slaps*
Forget about the past. There's nothing else like BYOND, and I plan on sticking around for years to come.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
I plan on sticking around for years to come.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Half of a burnt penny. But I do love BYOND I just keep coming back.

If we're talking about money. I think I've put in around $100+ so far in donations. Funny thing is, I don't even have a job.
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
How much would you say you or your team has committed to BYOND? Now, I don't just mean how much time you have spent using the product. I would like to see how many people are really committed to BYOND. How much time and money have you sunk into keeping BYOND alive, how hard have you tried to advertise and "shill" on BYOND's behalf?

I don't have the option of helping to support BYOND cash wise but that could change in the near future.

Advertise: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BYONDGames

If BYOND were to go down, how much of your life has been ruined and must be started over from scratch? Not some small project for funsies, but something you invested a lot of money into and had a long term plan.

It wouldn't affect my life at all, however I do invest alot of time into BYOND/DM. Even tho I rarely ever post anymore I usually have DM open the mass majority of the time on my PC :P

Oasiscircle wrote:
Magicsofa wrote:
I plan on sticking around for years to come.
The BYOND facebook group* is weeeeird.
Except on Facebook.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
Except on Facebook.

You're right. But hey it's BYOND for ya c:

[Edit] Didn't see that you replied .~.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:

Advertise: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BYONDGames

Not sure if I should join to support or continue to stay hidden... ._.
I committed seppuku to BYOND. You're welcome, Tom.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7 8 9