Yut Put wrote:
i haven't donated any, and i tell everyone from outside BYOND that it's terrible and i'm embaressed i use it, but it's my favorite for quick game development

++
Yut Put wrote:
and i tell everyone from outside BYOND that it's terrible and i'm embarrassed i use it, but it's my favorite for quick game development

++
Man it must feel good to be a 3 year old again :D
i tell everyone byond is the largest and most used development engine in the world so they think im a badass for using it

i get so many phone numbers by saying that, its not even funny. i got 2 girls outside my bedroom window right now begging to come in. #TooMuchSweg
I'll never get the reason why people are so embarrassed about BYOND. I once had a chat with my professor about it, and it ended in a lab session revolving around it, Unity and other platforms. It was kind of cool.
He should know better to judge a book by it's cover. BYOND does 2D better than any other freely available platform out there, and it's incredibly intuitive and easy to understand. These are two very big things that go way under appreciated and frankly, it's embarrassing that some of the community doesn't see it.
Why are you concerned with the reputation of the engine? If it does what you want, then use it. If it doesn't, don't.
I don't think reputation matters at all. GameMaker has a horrible reputation among devs and yet it's produced games like Spelunky and Hotline Miami. You don't judge a person by their worst day, so why would you judge BYOND by it's worst examples? Yes, BYOND has a lot of problems with it's listings; yes, a lot of poorly crafted games have been made with it. But it's also produced NEStalgia and Space Station 13: both of which are incredibly popular.
Well instead of "feeling like an idiot", why don't you defend the engine and say it's "ideal for what I enjoy doing". Maybe we can actually improve the reputation, ya think?
Hopefully the roll out of the HTML5 client will fix a lot of these issues. It might bring in a lot of interest and appeal to more outside developers. I know having a multi-platform presence has been a big button issue, which BYOND hasn't had up until now.
Well I honestly feel that BYOND is a great Engine. Mainly because it is easy to understand among other languages. Atleast people can make a shitty Pokemon game with BYOND because they wouldn't even be able to do it on lets say Java or Unity that easily good or not thats a win for BYOND.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Well instead of "feeling like an idiot", why don't you defend the engine and say it's "ideal for what I enjoy doing". Maybe we can actually improve the reputation, ya think?

if nestalgia getting onto steam and making thousands of dollars didn't change people's opinion of the engine, i don't think a conversation with some random board game developer at a comic convention would've done much either
Everyone will always have negative and positive things to say, one more than the other. Regardless if they haven't even tried anything on BYOND then their opinion is worth absolutely nothing. A lot of people put blame on "BYOND limitations" when the fault is in their programming. The only way to show them is to make something efficient and fun. Maybe NEStalgia was the first step towards that, but everyone has different opinions as to what efficient and fun is.
I think the BYOND Game Jam shows you can use BYOND to make not shitty games in just 48 hours. None of those games were like the usual garbage bag grab bag you see people talking about.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
I think the BYOND Game Jam shows you can use BYOND to make not shitty games in just 48 hours. None of those games were like the usual garbage bag grab bag you see people talking about.

I agree showed a great example of what the BYOND engine can do and with little time! Everyone did an amazing job.
I believe that BYOND is just now starting to scratch the surface with the potential it has. It feels like there's a wave of developers and games coming that will forever change this site.
In response to Cubanbling
Cubanbling wrote:
I believe that BYOND is just now starting to scratch the surface with the potential it has. It feels like there's a wave of developers and games coming that will forever change this site.

I have to agree, even the trolling has went down a lot.
I understand that reputation can influence other people, but I am just asking why people here, who already use the program, should be concerned about it. Pretty soon your game won't be defined by the engine; this was sort of the purpose of the standalone setup (or the Make EXE that Yut Put misses), but the HTML5 client should do effectively the same thing. If someone isn't going to bother trying out your game because it happens to be made in DM, then they are just close-minded and no big loss. The truth is that very few people in the general population have heard of BYOND so it won't have a detrimental effect on your audience.

Now if you don't want to use the toolkit because it is limiting or otherwise sucks, that is a more acceptable answer.
I care about official reputation. The kind of reputation BYOND has that people hear about isn't worth anything. "Isn't it just used for shitty Pokemon / Naruto / Bleach / DBZ MMOs?", that is just reputation gained from hearsay or bad experiences from people who came here at a time when quality didn't exist.

BYOND, as far as I know has very little official reputation. Other than an articles about NEStalgia or SS13 (which are only in good light), who is talking about BYOND specifically? No one. Nothing but an old little article with an out of context Richard Bartle quote has any reference of BYOND itself. Because of that, BYOND to me, is in neutral reputation, and I like that but it can be very unnerving.

With a "neutral" official brand reputation, you have a lot of room to move, but you better hope you move into the good sometime sooner than later. 16 some years later, BYOND is just now reaching a point in its developmental stage where it can actually be competitive with other cross platform development kits and that's great. I hope that if funding keeps up and development morale doesn't stagnate that the impending release of the HTML5 client will provide BYOND's brand with more quality deliverables that will boost the official reputation.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
I care about official reputation. The kind of reputation BYOND has that people hear about isn't worth anything. "Isn't it just used for shitty Pokemon / Naruto / Bleach / DBZ MMOs?", that is just reputation gained from hearsay or bad experiences from people who came here at a time when quality didn't exist.

BYOND, as far as I know has very little official reputation. Other than an articles about NEStalgia or SS13 (which are only in good light), who is talking about BYOND specifically? No one. Nothing but an old little article with an out of context Richard Bartle quote has any reference of BYOND itself. Because of that, BYOND to me, is in neutral reputation, and I like that but it can be very unnerving.

With a "neutral" official brand reputation, you have a lot of room to move, but you better hope you move into the good sometime sooner than later. 16 some years later, BYOND is just now reaching a point in its developmental stage where it can actually be competitive with other cross platform development kits and that's great. I hope that if funding keeps up and development morale doesn't stagnate that the impending release of the HTML5 client will provide BYOND's brand with more quality deliverables that will boost the official reputation.

best said.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 8 9