communities x10 worse than the engine
worse than the engine

I think the engine is pretty nice, myself. I'd work a busy san francisco corner for some better mapping tools, built-in autotiling, and built-in swapmaps, though.

Possibly a scriptable editor like Unity's would be neat too.
In response to Ter13
Worded that wrong, didn't mean to say engine was bad. Was just saying half the BYONDers on these forums are conceited assholes, although me and my friend are starting to come across some limitations and issues with full screen. Stuck between terrible quality or the game being slowed down for individuals with very large monitors lol not sure if anyone has a solution for this
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
Worded that wrong, didn't mean to say engine was bad. Was just saying half the BYONDers on these forums are conceited assholes.

Agreed.

In response to Kozuma3
Almost everyone who thinks this is a hypocrite.
In response to Baird Techie
Baird Techie wrote:

I like turtles.
BYONDs saviour has arrived
Baird Techie wrote:

am r not
Baird Techie wrote:

*Tongue click* Or naaaaw.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Baird Techie wrote:

I like turtles.

Welcome to the club.
The community is still better then it was past few years. The trollers don't even troll as much as they use to, now sometimes they even give you back wonderful feedback. But you guys take it as "oh he trolls" when that troll knows more then you and he is actually trying to help you
idc about trolls
Then I don't see how the community is bad other then the trolls? Only other reason is you dislike hard criticism.
well read my comment

edit: trolls don't give very good or constructive criticism
I don't think the community is inherently bad at all. What I think is the real, present problem is the current hive-mind that, "BYOND is bad because it's bad." It's this type of thinking that demotivates everybody, and serves to better no-one. In reality, the engine is pretty nice - it's intuitive and straight forward, like it's meant to be. The community is really helpful - in fact, I don't see anybody struggling in dev. help anymore. I think what people need to wrap their heads around is the concept that you don't go and jump in a four door sedan and expect to go from 0 - 60 in two seconds. You have to manage with what's on the table and understand what you're working with.

At the end of the day, BYOND is a 2D game engine that's marketed as a beginner's approach to making games. It's not Unity, it's not LOVE - it's designed to be basic and straight forward. The sooner you understand the tools, the better off you'll be.
Bu...but Crazah! I wanna make Crysis in BYOND! UNTIL I CAN MAKE MY GAMES LOOK LIKE CRYSIS, BYOND IS A BUNCH OF TWIGS AND DIRT HURRRR DURRRRRRRR
Twigs and dirt can be fun if you use your imagination.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Twigs and dirt can be fun if you use your imagination.

I know right? It's so basic but people can't do it.
I know right? It's so basic but people can't do it.

Game design is hard and time consuming. The stars have to align and the right people have to come together to make a game. It's not a matter of trying, it's a matter of skill, practice, and knowledge. Funding helps bring those three things together.

BYOND games lack reliable funding, which is why things are the way they are. Rather than getting so hung up on the projects that do fail (Even in the professional world, a large percentage of games fail before they even get started), people need to focus on skill, knowledge, and practice.

That's why I do what I do. I try to share my knowledge with the community, and show them better ways of doing things than they would otherwise have access to.

If you have skill in something, get started doing that. You'll attract like-minded people even if for a short time.

We can all point fingers around here about why things are the way they are, but it just doesn't get us anywhere.

I think the community is in a better shape these last few months than it ever has been, and things are really looking up engine-wise with the release of the HTML5 client.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
The community is still better then it was past few years. The trollers don't even troll as much as they use to, now sometimes they even give you back wonderful feedback. But you guys take it as "oh he trolls" when that troll knows more then you and he is actually trying to help you

Everyone just got tired. When you get old.. you get tired. It's not fun anymore.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9