ID:1630480

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/17/5912245/ yogscast-kickstarter-failure-crowdfunding-risks

tl;dr People gave Yogscast half a million dollars to make some stupid game and now everyone's decided the game can't be made now, so the people who were dumb enough to give them money are mad.

I, for one, am happy about this. I've never particularly liked the Yogscast, they all seem pretty corny and arrogant. However, what I dislike even more is the cult following they have. I'm glad people threw half a million dollars at the Yogs and got literally nothing back out of it. Stupidity at its finest.

The Yogscast are just a bunch of weirdos who upload mildly amusing Minecraft footage to YouTube. I'm not sure on what planet that qualifies them to be game designers or even have the competency required to assemble a team for the task, but it's definitely not Earth.
"That's not the only moment of tone-deafness in Brindley's email. He refers to Winterkewl Games stopping work on Yogventures as "actually a good thing as the project was proving too ambitious and difficult for them to complete with their six-man team."

Lol'd from the website.
In response to WSHGC
WSHGC wrote:
"That's not the only moment of tone-deafness in Brindley's email. He refers to Winterkewl Games stopping work on Yogventures as "actually a good thing as the project was proving too ambitious and difficult for them to complete with their six-man team."

Lol'd from the website.

I'm struggling to see what was so ambitious about their retarded looking game.

A team of four people decent with Unity could've whipped this crap up in like 3 or 4 months. And it wouldn't have taken half a million dollars.

On the Yogscast wikia it says "Winterkewl Games did not have the money to finish Yogventures, and it got so difficult for them that it started affecting their personal lives. "

So let me get this straight. You start a Kickstarter campaign asking for $250k. You get over DOUBLE what you asked for, then still manage to run into financial issues. Not only that, but the person you hire to lead development of the game is some guy no one has ever heard of, whose only game development experience was "drawing 3d props for Shenmue 2" according to his linkedin page.

God, people are idiots.
I laughed even harder from
"Winterkewl Games did not have the money to finish Yogventures, and it got so difficult for them that it started affecting their personal lives. "

I agree with you completely. I see no possible reason for them to have not have enough money for the project. $250k is more than enough for the project, but raising $567k? There shouldn't of been any type of excuse mentioning money with that amount they earned. It makes no sense to even try and say they did not have the money to finish, but doing so definitely makes me say it was just for the money since the beginning of the whole thing.

As said on the polygon site about the warning signs,

"First, I had never heard of Winterkewl Games. My initial thought was that this was a new studio, presumably made up of industry veterans. What little the Kickstarter page reveals about Winterkewl backs that up, promising "long-time veterans of film and game companies — working at the highest levels of production." But it provides no actual details about what companies the Winterkewl employees are veterans of, what game and film projects they've previously worked on that would earn their trust with the $250,000 asked for.

Whatever the answer to that, the Kickstarter write-up makes one thing all too clear: This was to be the studio's first game. That point raised my second set of concerns: Yogventures, as described in its Kickstarter, was an overwhelmingly ambitious project. Here's an incomplete listing of some of the things promised in the game:

Randomly generated worlds
A fleshed out crafting system
A complex in-game physics engine
Full support for modding
"Adventures" featuring characters based on The Yogscast's hosts
Fully editable and destructible terrain
All of this and more from a small studio's first project. Sound too good to be true? Well, it was."

I see the backers didn't even consider back then any of this that Philip wrote in his opinion. I just don't understand how willingly they were giving their money without atleast any thought toward the whole thing, it seems.
So essentially they paid $560k for a closed beta key to some other random game. Seems legit, lol
Wasn't another scandal discovered about the Yogscast recently too? I remember hearing details that leaked regarding how shady the monetization of their videos is. Something something, only say positive things and here's $6000.
Those kinds of offers are pretty normal among higher traffic gaming youtubers. I guess whether the offers are accepted or not, is another matter.
So they got to keep that $dough?
In response to Sphinxe1
Sphinxe1 wrote:

They are not required by Kickstarter to give the money back so apparently yeah. Kickstarter doesn't guarantee finished projects. They have to give Kickstarter their cut but after that the money is literally theirs to do whatever they want to do with it. They can keep their promise or they can say "HURR DURR FINANCIAL PROBLEMS" and not create anything. It's "contribute at your own risk" basically.
I now know what I want to do in life.
Didn't you hear? Kickstarter is the new get quick rich scam of choice.

Almost anyone can go use it to scam people out of their money with no repercussions. Hell, I personally have about 9 different kickstarters going right now with a total of over $1 million I'm going to keep while doing nothing to earn it.
In response to The Magic Man
Please support my potato salad.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Sphinxe1 wrote:

They are not required by Kickstarter to give the money back so apparently yeah. Kickstarter doesn't guarantee finished projects. They have to give Kickstarter their cut but after that the money is literally theirs to do whatever they want to do with it. They can keep their promise or they can say "HURR DURR FINANCIAL PROBLEMS" and not create anything. It's "contribute at your own risk" basically.

"Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill."
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Sphinxe1 wrote:

"Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill."

Rewards, not projects.

Also, as Magnum2k pointed out, they are apparently allowed to "fulfill" their rewards by offering a beta key to a completely different game. Yogscast isn't even claiming responsibility for what happened, let alone giving refunds to backers. They're pinning this entire ordeal all on "Winterkewl Games", some spur-of-the-moment team that we can now pretty much consider defunct.

Kickstarter does not promise finished projects:

"Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. "

And they also do not hunt down people who didn't fulfill rewards, even though they claim to enforce it. The responsibility is up to each individual backer to sue Yogscast or Winterkewl Games for the rewards they never got. If the backer never takes it to court, the only way they get their money back is if Yogscast literally sends each backer their money back themselves. Probably as far as Kickstarter will go is not allowing Yogscast to ever run another Kickstarter campaign.
LoL Nice one
Tough titties on the ones that actually donated money.
Never liked Yogscast any way, nor the type of work where you play videogames, act childish and get paid to do so :\

But eh, everyone his own thing... Hope nobody here was silly enough to throw money at that kickstarter, though.