ID:1637914

I've been gone for a while...

I've been working on the artwork and music for my game (not much of any code has moved forward) for those of you that are wondering.

I am curious, when will Byond see any type of map system implementation? The current dilemma with using BYOND to transcend game genre is its inability to deal with maps. First you have a map size limit, and second you have no real way of dealing with loading, saving, prototyping, or instancing maps at run time.

I feel that if this was address seriously, BYOND would be able to produce games that could compete with Realm of the Mad God and other browser based MMO's.

I am slightly frustrated that the alternative is so complex and requires so much work to get around that the idea of building a net dream is somewhat diminished. Of course, like with anything good in life, hard work will go a long way.

Thanks for reading!
This is something that we've wanted to do for a long time. Ideally, the map would be a runtime format and the editor itself would be written in DM (allowing users to improve it). This is sort of necessary if the web-format takes off and we truly want portable editor tools on other platforms, because god knows I don't want to have to port the existing map-editor.

That said, a lot of future feature creep really depends on how well this project does for us. As of the moment, we are not really meeting ends and giving it the attention it needs. I am cautiously optimistic that this next update will improve the situation though, and have given a ton of thought as to how our infrastructure will change here.
Hey Tom,

Thanks a lot for the response, I really appreciate it. It sounds like you're on track to really head in the direction I was hoping for, which is great to hear. I hope the project is able to make the ends meet and I'm sure with your web launch you'll find more interesting and additional ways to monetize your hard work.
^ some ads being played, games being open to anybody with a modern browser. Hmm I think yes ;p
BYOND would be able to produce games that could compete with Realm of the Mad God and other browser based MMO's

Nah, ROTMG has map instancing on a massive scale and 3D graphics. BYOND just can't do that, it's byond it's performance capabilities.
In response to Zecronious
In fact, this is running at 60 frames per second. I think anyone could make a big game with this easily. I wrote it up in the past hour while watching random internet videos.

happy april fool's dayit's not actually efficientbut I did just make it in DMit's super sloppy