ID:1639160

I can't seem to succeed at anything nowadays. Maybe I should suspend myself from making video games. I wanted to create a tycoon game but I can't do the game design and hiring a professional takes too much money. I wanted to create a game based on Fallout video game and Hunter X Hunter anime but I can't seem to make it turn based with online multiplayer capabilities. I can't even make it turn based single player now. Hiring a team to make me a game costs too much money for me. I want to enjoy creating a game, create a good game and profit from it. But I am unable to do it. Should I just quit? Is there a way to become a better game designer? Should I work for free for other people's games?

I want to:

Help create good game I'm interested in
Program the game
Profit from the game
Learning to program might be a good idea.
Is there a way to be a better game designer?

Of-course, just keep moving forward. If you want to be a better designer experience things, learning about people through someone elses knowledge via articles etc... will only get you so far. You need real experience by being around others and seeing what's going on. To be a designer you need to become the player, the gamer, what would you like? What would you like to see? If you're working on your game and you aren't biting your lip because you can't wait to get it done and play it it's a bad game that'll be downloaded like 3-4 times then never played again.
In addition to the others' advice, perseverance is key. Don't allow failure to be an option if this is really what you want to do.

Ter13 wrote (elsewhere):
Game design is hard and time consuming. The stars have to align and the right people have to come together to make a game. It's not a matter of trying, it's a matter of skill, practice, and knowledge.

Take a step back and figure out exactly what it is that you want in a game. If you don't feel confident enough to develop what you want, make something smaller to gain experience. I believe the only way that you can start becoming a better game designer is by actually developing a game then playing through it and saying "this sucks". Once you do that, you'll have something to work from and can iterate on to improve.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
TheDarkChakra wrote:
Help create good game I'm interested in
Program the game
Profit from the game

First you need to learn and understand the language, which you have been told for the past year or so...

Failure to do so will not help you create games...
TheDarkChakra wrote:
I can't seem to make it turn based with online multiplayer capabilities. I can't even make it turn based single player now.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are tutorials on how to make a turn-based game...