ID:164339

Ok, im trying to learn how to code, im using zilals tutorial, and i have a problem, i do not know what is wrong, i did exactly what the guide says, so maybe someone can help.
mob //either you or monster in world
world //we set one of our world's characteristics:
turf = /turf/grass //its default turf is the grass turf.

The compile errors are,it says turf:unidentified var
and /turf/grass:unidentified type path.
I dont know why.
Did you create the turf? Your file should also have the code:

turf
grass
icon = 'grass.dmi'

or whatever icon you are using. The default turf must be set to a turf which is already defined as in my example. Setting the default turf is actually just telling the program to look up a particular turf and use it as the default, it doesn't define it by itself. I hope that makes sense.

Also, world should not be under mob. Mob and world are both roots to the tree - they should be indented the same amount. If world were underneath mob, as you have it, it would mean the world is a property of the mob, which would be very Twilight-Zone-ish.

If it's not that, then I'm afraid I don't know, I'm very new at this too. Good luck though!!
You're defining world at the mob level, which it shouldn't be. Define world at the top level (not indented), and the turf variable underneath it.
world
turf = /turf/grass.dmi //its default turf is the grass turf.
mob //either you or monster in world //we set one of our world's characteristics:

turf
grass //defines a "grass" prototype, which is a kind of turf...
icon = 'grass.dmi' //and has an icon named 'grass.dmi'. In single quotes!

Thats all i have in coding file, i have grass.dmi and a map, but it still says the same errors o.o..
In response to Tacomaster
mob should not be under world any more than world should be under mob. Try ordering it like this:

mob
icon = 'player.dmi'

turf
grass
icon = 'grass.dmi'

world
turf = /turf/grass.dmi

Basically, mob is the top rung for all properties of mobs. Turf is the top rung for all types of turf. World is the top rung for the world's properties. Stuff that modifies those go underneath them.

Looks like you're struggling with this like me (I've only been doing it a couple days). It's difficult but the people here are very helpful. I found that Zilal's tutorial wasn't all that helpful to me. You can try the DM Guide (there's a link on the left sidebar) which gives a fairly decent rundown of how the code works, sort of like a textbook rather than a tutorial. That helped me more than the tutorials. If you're still having trouble, you can always keep asking questions - that's what I've been doing and most of the people here are very nice. :)
In response to Sappho
That should be /turf/grass, not /turf/grass.dmi.
In response to Garthor
Right, sorry. That's what happens when you type fast and don't pay enough attention. :P