ID:1644524

How much would it cost to develop a professional BYOND video game by hiring BYOND developers? Who would I need on the team? I know I would need at least game designers, programmers and graphic artists. WHo else?
If I was going to program for a hobbyist game I'd rather have a share in any profits than a direct payment for services. I don't think anyone here could afford to pay the amount I'd need to live off for a proper game development cycle.
It's impossible to give an exact answer on "how much would it cost" because everyone has their own price, and it ultimately boils down to how much money you want to spend on the project. There also isn't really a definitive "I NEED X and Y positions on my team," it just depends on what you require. Need some additional help with programming? Hire another programmer. Need an artist? Hire an artist. Unable to find music? Might want to hire a composer.
How much would $1000 for the whole video game development get me? I don't want to be part of the team. I just want to be the owner of the video game. I would need a game designer, a programmer and a graphic artist as well as a manager to take care of the team.
In response to TheDarkChakra
Again, there's no good way to answer this with certainty. It depends on how cheap people are willing to work for (and $1,000 is... a pretty small budget if you're looking to hire at least four developers).
Well it will be 3 actually as 1 of them will be a manager to check in with them. Maybe I should find a team by asking on BYOND's classified ads and make a deal with them first before we decide on the budget? I don't even know what kind of a game I would want to create. I just want to fund a video game that will turn out successful, good, fun and will bring me back my money + profit.
Might be a good idea to think of the game first. Write out a small description, wait a few days and then if it still sounds like a good idea think about spending money on it.
I actually thought this was the game designer's job to do. I can't think of any ideas but a game designer can.
So if you're not going to come up with the game idea, and are going to get other people to make a game for you.

What do you do?
I am the owner and the funder.
Here just push this button.

Or maybe I shouldn't create any BYOND video games at all.
TheDarkChakra wrote:
I am the owner and the funder.

BYOND developers usually don't understand the value of a designer. Don't worry.

Hence...

I'm not gonna go there.
It's kind of funny, Chakra wants to do absolutely nothing and then get credited for a game that other people made.
You might have some luck looking on the classified ads. It ultimately depends on what you're looking to have done. If it's anything that requires a substantial amount of work, $1000 is often times too low. A good programmer is expensive, and you might as well double that for an artist. Take Eternia for example, I know it's taken thousands of dollars to get to where it is now.

Zecronious wrote:
It's kind of funny, Chakra wants to do absolutely nothing and then get credited for a game that other people made.

It's called investing? That's how the real world works.
In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:
You might have some luck looking on the classified ads. It ultimately depends on what you're looking to have done. If it's anything that requires a substantial amount of work, $1000 is often times too low. A good programmer is expensive, and you might as well double that for an artist. Take Eternia for example, I know it's taken thousands of dollars to get to where it is now.

Zecronious wrote:

Or maybe I should make money in investing in stocks instead of this? I can't afford more than $1000. Maybe I can create a cheap demo and if people like it then gradually create the full game?
In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:

Investing, haha. More like flushing money down the toilet.
Though it isn't a BYOND game I'm working for some people with a budget of $5000-$10000 just for art.(This is just for the kick starter) I've been doing pixel art on BYOND till recently, so I can't imagine decent artists charging much less than I am.
I would suggest looking around (or asking around) to see if there's any game designers or programmers who are working on something that you would want to fund. Work out a profit share with them and use your funds to boost their budget. Though, you'll probably only be able to help fund small games, otherwise I couldn't see many people interested.
I don't know about anyone else, but I would charge around $1,000 a month for 8-hour programming sessions 5 days a week. Other than that, maybe $148 for 2 4-hour sessions a week. Either way, a $1,000 total budget isn't going to get you anyone that has 1) talent, 2) drive, 3) experience, or 4) time to dedicate to the program. Maybe 2 or 3 out of the 4, but probably not all of them.
Page: 1 2 3