ID:164480

...without having the user hit the submit button?

IOW, I want to capture the data the user's entered, send that data to a new form, and use the original data to initialize the new form. AFAIK, there's no way to gather the info off the form without submitting it first, so is there a way to fool Topic() (or some other procedure) into submitting via code?

(It's a possibly dumb question, but I've searched the forums, tried a few procs from the HTML lib itself (including getselfurl()), and spent a good while trying to circumvent the submit process.)
You could do something with javascript, perhaps.
I would probably use JavaScript, as Jon88 said, to spoof calls to Topic() on the fly. JavaScript defines several events for input prompts, such as onchange (when the value of the object is changed and focus is lost), onkeyup (after a key is depressed and lifted, when the object has focus), etc. From there, I might use the events to spoof calls to Topic via manually setting the window's location, or simply calling the form's submit() function when needed. If you need a little freshening up with JavaScript, I recommend http://w3schools.com/js, personally.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
From there, I might use the events to spoof calls to Topic via manually setting the window's location, or simply calling the form's submit() function when needed.

Yeah, I may end up going this route. I'll investigate just a bit more, but I'm leaning towards just splitting the functionality of that form up. If I add js at this point the whole thing is going to start feeling much more kludgy and fragile than I'm comfortable with.

Thanks for the responses, guys.