ID:164725

Ok. I have been looking around abit but I have not found anything to help me with my problem.

I am trying to design a game useing a D&D basis of rolling.

For example, a bastard sword does 1d10 (a random number between 1 and 10 in other words)

Basically, what i want to know is, is there a way to set up a Var for each dye. namely like d4 d6 d8 d10 d20 etc, so I can easily make weapons and everything that should be random, random by just having it call upon said varible, without the varible being set at one number.
Krythos wrote:
Ok. I have been looking around abit but I have not found anything to help me with my problem.

For example, a bastard sword does 1d10 (a random number between 1 and 10 in other words)

Basically, what i want to know is, is there a way to set up a Var for each dye. namely like d4 d6 d8 d10 d20 etc, so I can easily make weapons and everything that should be random, random by just having it call upon said varible, without the varible being set at one number.

Well, to make a random number from 1 through 10 just put rand(1,10)

Dice rolling is already in BYOND so all you need to do is use the roll variable, like quoted below from the DM guide.
obj/potion/healing
var/dice = "3d6"
verb/drink()
var/h = roll(dice)
if(h>15) usr << "Very refreshing!"
else usr << "You feel better."
Krythos wrote:

Yup! The roll() proc takes either a number (for one die with that many sides) or a string like "1d10+2". (If you want -, currently you have to put a + in front of it; i.e. you'd use roll("4d3+-8") to simulate 4 Fudge dice. I've fixed this for BYOND 4.0 however.) If you set the sword's damage var to "1d10", then you only need roll(damage) to calculate its damage.

I've done a recent post over at Dungeon Crawlers that should prove helpful to your purposes as well. It includes a proc that will use a number directly without rolling if you've set one, or will use a roll formula.

Lummox JR