ID:164841

I was just curious how I would get rid of the whole if the location is one step away, make it look like they walked there thing. I want it to just teleport there, not step over there. This is what i'm using: 'src.loc=get_step(src,NORTH)' Shouldn't force locating stop it from looking like it actually walked into that area? How can I stop this?

Oh, also, is there an easy way to turn multi-tiled mobs around? I have a multi tiled boat and I want it to turn, but it's taking me up to 6 hours just to complete one turn on it in one direction. Is there a more effeicient way to accomplish this? :
client/East()
if(src.mob.control)
mob.dir = turn(mob.dir, -45) // Turn -45 degrees
src<<"your direction is: [src.mob.dir]."
var
done
done1
done2
for(var/mob/boat/a in src.mob.control:top)
switch(src.mob.dir)
if(EAST)
if(!done)
done=1
src.mob<<"moved east"
a.loc=get_step(a,SOUTHEAST)
a.dir=EAST
else
a.dir=EAST
if(SOUTH)
if(!done)
done=1
src.mob<<"moved south"
a.loc=get_step(a,SOUTHWEST)
a.loc=get_step(a,SOUTH)
a.dir=SOUTH
else
a.loc=get_step(a,SOUTHWEST)
a.dir=SOUTH
//This is all I have so far and i'm still trying to get south to line up properly >_>
As you can see, it takes alot of time to get a 2x3 boat to change directions. It's not cool hardcoding it all >_>

I'm working with a multi-tiled boat that looks like this:

* = peice of boat

** This is it facing north

*** This is it facing east

How am I to get it to change directions without spending hours of my life trying to get it all to line up properly? What scares me is when i'm adding bigger boats >_> This is a small one. What happens when I have a boat like 12x6? It will take just as long as it would to build a boat in real life as it would to program it >_>. (ok, i'm not serious, but it would take like up to 4-5 weeks to get it all to line up properly >_<

And i'm not smart enough to create a dantom to handle the boat changing directions (if it's even possible).
Speedro wrote:
I was just curious how I would get rid of the whole if the location is one step away, make it look like they walked there thing. I want it to just teleport there, not step over there. This is what i'm using: 'src.loc=get_step(src,NORTH)' Shouldn't force locating stop it from looking like it actually walked into that area? How can I stop this?

No, thats a deep feature of BYOND (I assume DS) that doesn't have to do with exactly how the atom moves - but with it's animate_movement var (look that up).

Oh, also, is there an easy way to turn multi-tiled mobs around? I have a multi tiled boat and I want it to turn, but it's taking me up to 6 hours just to complete one turn on it in one direction. Is there a more effeicient way to accomplish this
As you can see, it takes alot of time to get a 2x3 boat to change directions. It's not cool hardcoding it all >_>
How am I to get it to change directions without spending hours of my life trying to get it all to line up properly? What scares me is when i'm adding bigger boats >_> This is a small one. What happens when I have a boat like 12x6?

Yes, see - don't hardcode it. You have to create some sort of system that can work with multiple multi-tile object shapes and whatnot - which WILL be complex. Sorry for posting a mostly useless post, but the time is too late now for me to try helping with things that actually require me to think.

It will take just as long as it would to build a boat in real life as it would to program it >_>. (ok, i'm not serious, but it would take like up to 4-5 weeks

I've no idea, of course, but I assume building a boat (ie, unhuge ferry) takes that or less. >_>

And i'm not smart enough to create a dantom to handle the boat changing directions (if it's even possible).

_> datum*
I'm sure you can learn how to that if you want, though. You're a pretty good learner 'n all from what I remember (Avren, right?).
In response to Kaioken
Ok, ill try working with a dantom to solve this, but it won't be pretty. If your feeling less tired today, if you have an tips that would be great :). Also, how did you know I was Avren?

Dantoms

What I was thinking is a datum that handled 3 lists, the top part of the boat (the top row), the middle and the bottom. Now I just need to figure out how to get them rotating correctly.

Yeah, I also hardcoded the whole attaching the peices of the boat together >_> Any suggestions on how to get a datum to handle figuring out where to put the peices? I've always sucked with datums.

Any ideas on how to get a datum to handle directional changing?
Ok - how would I get the datum to rotate it any better than I was already doing it? >_>
In response to Speedro
It's a datum, not a dantom. Dantom refers to Dan and Tom, who created BYOND (then known as Dantom's Universal Network Game). You don't need a datum for any of this. My ToolBox library does multiple tiled icons, as well as different directions. It also allows you to import images from a sprite sheet. A 12x6 boat is a little out of the question unless you're going to break it up into multiple pieces. ToolBox uses overlays to display the extra icons which make up large things. Currently, BYOND has visual issues when the pixel offsets are higher than 128x128, which allows you to make things around 4x4 tiles large. Keep in mind that something bigger than that, which moves, would take up most of a player's screen anyways, blocking other things most likely.
In response to DerDragon
Em, I did say datum >_>

Also, I would really like to know how to go about shifting the icons into a new position using a datum. Your library really makes no sence to me >_>

EDIT: Also, by the way, that's a 2x3 boat; not 6x12 :p
In response to DerDragon
Its not that simple. He doesn't want to do it just with overlays, especially if he doesn't want an unsolid ship.