ID:1669971

BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 31.0
Applies to:Webclient

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When using the web client, four direction icon states can appear incorrectly in some cases. After moving south or north, moving in a diagonal direction leaning the same way as the initial movement will result in the initial directional movement icon state remaining. This differs from Dream Seeker in that Dream Seeker will display the other diagonal direction icon state.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Log into a game using the web client in which the client's mob has four directional movement states (A different icon for each of the four directional movements).
2) Move north.
3) Move northwest.
4) Observe that the mobs movement state remains north, and not west, as it would in Dream Seeker.
5) Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 using the other combination for north, and the two combinations for south.

Expected Results: The movement state should favor the latter direction when moving diagonally.

Actual Results: After moving North/south, followed by a diagonal, the movement state favors the former part of the diagonal direction.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Only in the case of North and South movements.
In other games? Only in games which the mob uses four movement states and allows diagonal movements.
In other user accounts? Untested.
On other computers? Untested.

When does the problem NOT occur? Untested.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? N/A.

Workarounds: Use Dream Seeker.

This is actually the original, documented behavior. I made a bug report on what it currently does in DS.

I prefer how it's supposed to be, which is what the webclient does, because when I go from moving in a cardinal direction to a diagonal direction, I think of it as strafing, rather than whatever the alternative is. It just makes sense.
Interesting, it would seem that the web client does display what the reference documents. That makes me curious if it has always been this way, or at which point in changed in Dream Seeker.

For contrast, it seems more natural and less disorientating to me in the way it is displayed in Dream Seeker. However, it may only be what I have become accustom to and wouldn't be opposed to a change, as they should be consistent with each other and the reference.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
In the webclient, diagonals aren't displayed properly when a mob is moving.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1)
Use any diagonal key, or any combination of directional keys.

2) Notice the mob doesn't change it's icon_state accordingly.

Expected Results:
For the mob to use the appropriate icon_state, as it does on DS.

Dream Seeker
*Note: Diagonals are being used

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Actual Results:
The mob doesn't change it's icon_state appropriately.

Webclient
*Note: Diagonals are being used

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In response to FishMan123
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I tried to reproduce this but could not. Diagonal icon states are in fact showing up correctly in my test project, and they also work fine when moving.

Please post a test project that displays the issue, and I can take a look.
I thought of that, but it's not what this bug report says. This report says there should be a diagonal state, but it isn't being used. My tests don't confirm any such issue.
The first issue I had with this post is the expectation for icon_state to change with direction, which is false.

Now it's clear that there isn't a diagonal icon_state; there aren't even any diagonal directional frames.
Kaiochao is right; there's no diagonal icon in play at all. That's totally at odds with the report.

I can't help but wonder if you really did only mean that the wrong cardinal direction was being shown when moving diagonally, per the report in id:1669971. Given that DS's behavior is apparently out of line with the reference and the webclient's behavior is probably preferable, I haven't been sure what to do about that report. If this is what you meant, though, let me know and I can mark it as a duplicate report.

If there's some separate issue that's incorrect, please also let me know.
Alright, Seems I explained this rather incorrectly.
Here are 2 GIFS displaying the problem at hand, however.

Dreamseeker:
http://i.imgur.com/iyHcGjo.gif
Webclient:
http://i.imgur.com/gmL4YmK.gif

So, I guess it is the same issue already noted above. Sorry for the inconvenience.

You may delete this topic.
I've gone ahead and attached this as a duplicate. Your gifs are actually pretty helpful, because that 180° flip of direction is definitely not what I'd like to see.
Bump.

This only appears to occur when the mob in question is facing NORTH/SOUTH (it follows Dream Seeker's behavior when said mob is facing EAST/WEST).